New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.75x68: Solid Copper projectile
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've cobbled up a slug for my 10.75x68, though it hasn't gotten off the drawing board as yet. Any suggestions/opinions for change to this design are welcome, so please free to comment!

Have a nice day!

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea, but such a similar construction exist. Look here at the Reichenberger page. Sorry, it´s only in German.
http://www.spezialgeschosse.de...eite_spezielles.html
And look under "Konstruktions" and than under "Großwild HDB".

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You may have done so, but if you haven't, wouldn't you want to slug the barrel first? You might prefer a .423".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
You may have done so, but if you haven't, wouldn't you want to slug the barrel first? You might prefer a .423".

I slugged it today and it measures .414" and .424" respectively.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z375:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wink:

I slugged it today and it measures .414" and .424" respectively.[/QUOTE

So it's a double? I didn't realize that. Now that's a fine kettle of fish. I have no idea what the double gun crowd does in this kind of a situation. Do a .424" and risk some overpressure in the .414" barrel, or do a .415 or .416" and hope it shoots accurately in the .424"? I'll let them reply.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it's a double? I didn't realize that. Now that's a fine kettle of fish. I have no idea what the double gun crowd does in this kind of a situation. Do a .424" and risk some overpressure in the .414" barrel, or do a .415 or .416" and hope it shoots accurately in the .424"? I'll let them reply.

Wink,

I forgot to mention, its not a double, its an A-type Oberndorf sporter! the measurements are .414" bore dia and .424" groove dia.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this one too finally got off the drawing board and the ogive closely resembles an original Kynoch 347gr projectile, another version made earlier, though not mine, looks somewhat like a Bridger and has a large HP with the 'square' driving bands which I felt were a little too wide. Here are a few pics taken along the way. Three variants were cobbled up just for fun, a hollowpoint, a solid, and one with an aluminium insert tip completing the radius on the nose, finally resembling a mini SilverTip of sorts. Ive tried these out and settled on a 2536fps load for both, the HP and solid, what seems to be a decent load, no pressure signs, no flattened primer nor sticky bolt, and my Oberndorf will put them to the sights and into one ragged hole at 35 yards! I will put up some pics of recovered slugs too in a few days..

Looks like a mini .505 Gibbs!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very interesting z375. I have a Type A Mauser in 10.75x68 but of course have only ever used Woodleighs in it. Curious with the monometal bullet how does the length compare to the lead-core bullets? Specifically are the bullets intruding more than lead-core bullets on the already somewhat skimpy case capacity for powder?

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Very interesting z375. I have a Type A Mauser in 10.75x68 but of course have only ever used Woodleighs in it. Curious with the monometal bullet how does the length compare to the lead-core bullets? Specifically are the bullets intruding more than lead-core bullets on the already somewhat skimpy case capacity for powder?

The original Kynoch loads are clocking an average of 2190fps and do a splendid job on pigs! The monometals are only slighly longer than the original 347gr slugs and dont really intrude upon case capacity enough to give cause for concern, the powder im using is similar to W760, its a spherical propellant and takes 60gr of the stuff with room to spare! I could drive them faster but given the facto that its an older rifle, I'd rather be conservative with these loads, and given the need to given with the way it shoots currently, I'm happy that it prints to the sights, displays no pressure signs and puts this old warhorse right into .375 H&H territory!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks, nifty looking bullets. With modern bullets and propellants the 10.75x68 could be a really great round . . . unfortunately it will never overcome the knock it got historically with bad bullets and poor propellants.

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is cool! can't wait to get mine finished, although I'll be "stuck" with the usual 350 & 400's.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 10.75x68 on buffalo for several years, and also on some deer and elk and PG. I used the Woodleigh 400 gr. .423 Jeffery bullets, they shot better than any other bullets I tried..As I recall that bore slugged .424 but so what, to start with slugging a bore can vari a tad ever time you slug it, hardness of lead perhaps, but the difference in .423 and .424 would not make any difference in the first place..

I really liked the caliber and the rifle, and we missed the boat on that one, it,s light and easy to pack, it can be made trim and slim and not take your head off when you pull the trigger, Horneber used to make brass and probably still does, use Woodleigh bullets, North Forks, and a few others..You can rechamber a 10.75 x 68 out to a .404 Jefferys, but its damn close and tricky..Ive seen a couple of them done and a couple ruined, one of them was done for me by an AR gunsmith and he ruined the chamber but paid me for the rifle without me even asking, so won't mention his name..I can't think of a better all around rifle..I used a lot H335 powder and some others, I and Lb404 who used to post here had some great loads worked up..I still have that info someplace around here..I think it was a 347 gr.flat nose solid bullet at 2350 fps was a favorite. His first name was JOhn as I recall and he made solid brass bullets as a hobby. He posted on AR from time to time as I recall..He had cancer and I believe he passed away a few years ago.He sent me 500 bullets, in 375, 404 and 10.75x 68 to test..He definatly was on point and would have been successful in time..

One of the most enduring quailities of one of the 10.75 x 68 that I had was a drop box Mauser that held 5 down and one in the hole, handy on a buffalo rifle. It doted on the 400 gr. Woodliehs at 2150 FPS, shades of the 404 J in its original state, or the 450-400 double rifle, proven ballistics for all of Africa..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote