THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ogive recomendations for .375 H&H bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working out the last details before I start cutting the reamer for the heavier bullets I plan on swagging for .375 H&H. And by heavier I'm thinking longer range bullets accuracy over anything else. I live in ohio only ground hogs to shoot here and pigs and just to see how they fly really. I'm pretty sure a tangent ogive is what I'm gonna go with instead of say a 1.5 elliptical ogive, I'm using a #6 ogive for my <250gr bullets with a 1/8" flat point. I'm thinking a #10 ogive would work well with a long jacketed?

Do any of you swage for .375 and if you do what ogives do you like? I'm sure I'll end up making several point form dies but I'm looking for a place to start

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Howdy
I have a 375 Whelen that I had built and shoot as a cast bullet gun only. This is my full experience with 375.
How ever, I used to hunt with a 243 using Speers 105 grain round nose. The bullet proved to be the most accurate bullet my rifle could shoot. Have a look at that design. The bullet tapered from the round nose to the the parrelle sides, approx. 1/2 inch.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
Copy the old 300 grain Winchester Silver Tip or the 270 grain Power Point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before making a 10 ogive 375 bullet, you might want to do some calculations to see what twist will be needed. The other issue that could arise is the OAL of the bullet/seating depth to fit the magazine etc.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not knowing anything about bullet making I was drawn to this thread by the word "tangent" which to me is a word from calculus - the slope of the tangent line to a curve is the derivative or instantaneous rate of change.

How does that translate into making a bullet shape? Do you somehow develop a function and find its derivative and then take the shape of that curve and program it into a bullet shape, or just how does the math relate to the shape of the bullet? Or to put it another way, what is the "function" for an "ogive" bullet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good old Sierra 300gr boattail softpoint is a good place to start as it was modeled on the famous FA 172 gr 308 boattail and the 50 BMG boattail.
As a big game bullet, it's a bit soft, but it shoots flat and is very accurate.

Sad to say that Bore Tech makes no 375 but you could scale off their 338 as it has the highest measured BC of any 338 bullet.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silvertip 1
To answer your question in a simple manner- A Hornady Vmax is a Tangent o`give and a Sierra Blitz King is a secant o`give. You can easily see the differences in the shape.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
Not knowing anything about bullet making I was drawn to this thread by the word "tangent" which to me is a word from calculus - the slope of the tangent line to a curve is the derivative or instantaneous rate of change.

How does that translate into making a bullet shape? Do you somehow develop a function and find its derivative and then take the shape of that curve and program it into a bullet shape, or just how does the math relate to the shape of the bullet? Or to put it another way, what is the "function" for an "ogive" bullet?

A tangent ogive meets the body of the bullet with a zero (or 180) degree angle at the intersection while a secant ogive meets the body of the bullet at some angle less than 180 degrees.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post