THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can liquid copper be used to repair pull marks?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if liquid copper; copper gasket maker could be used to fill in and repair bullets will pull marks.

MTIA,

Juker008

Posts: 13 | Location: WPB Fla | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the pull marks are bad enough to need "repair" , I think I'd pass on using them for anything but plinkers or blasters. I would think that the liquid copper might leave the bore a bit messy, also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try that (and I am one who is willing to try all sorts of crazy things). Big Grin

What you could do 'though, is to spin the bullet in some fine steel wool to remove the burrs but the barrel would likely remove those anyway. It would be interesting to try those 'damaged' bullet for accuracy, just to see.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juker008:
I was wondering if liquid copper; copper gasket maker could be used to fill in and repair bullets will pull marks.

MTIA,

Juker008

"liquid copper" isn't liquid copper.

It's actually varnish with enough copper flake added to it to make it LOOK coppery.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go out on a limb and say the only practical way to reuse run-of-the-mill cup and core jacketed bullets is to:

1. Clean grooves of any fouling

2. Electro-plate enough copper to fill in grooves

3. Lathe cut them back to the original caliber and ogive profile.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I'll go out on a limb and say the only practical way to reuse run-of-the-mill cup and core jacketed bullets is to:

Do you really think this would be "practical" ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Then you describe another way to accomplish what Juker08 asked, practical or not.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Then you describe another way to accomplish what Juker08 asked, practical or not.

Run them through a bump up die. Then run them through a swaging die of the original diameter. Might iron the pull marks out and make 'em nice and round again. Still not practical IMO. As I said before, I think the only "practical" thing to do with them woulld be to load and shoot 'em as is, or melt 'em down and cast up a bunch of new bullets.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I'd say use them as fouling shots. Unless your pinched for cash, and have the equipment and time, is it worth it? If I did that to a lead bullet I cast, I would melt it down and recast it. Besides wheel weights are cheap out my way. $10 150lbs! dancing

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've reshot pulled bullets for many years, both rifle and pistol, cast and jacketed and have found very little or no loss of accuracy at normal ranges. Some have even been pulled with pliers and still shot very well.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some have even been pulled with pliers and still shot very well.

DAMN!
I have pulled but never with those. I don't think I have ever put a big enough ding to worry about. My guess would be that when you pull a bullet that the small scratches are normal as in, when you shoot it dose it when the trigger is pulled. So I m guessing the small scratches are filled from the high presser between the lands and groves and the PSI behind it. Kinda like when you put a scratch in clay, then run your hand over it. Poof gone.
That my take on the matter.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote