Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Rem Centerfire - Solid Bullets Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
I am looking for someone to make 20 grain or 25 grain solid (non exploding, non mushrooming) bullets for .17 Rem Centerfire.

Currently I use 25 grain hollowpoints but they explode and make a mess of things. I only want small entry and exit holes.

Will pay good money for them. Please contact me via email at KOLAR@ZOOMINTERNET.NET or feel free to PM me via the Forum here.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes a 20 Gr. Solid I think for the HMR. Contact them, they might sell some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midwayusa occasionally sells solids in 20gr, contact GSC as well, they have made runs of 17gr and 20gr solids. You might also contact Blackhole bullets, Blaine can make custom runs if time permits.

I've got 17gr and 20gr solids for my 17AH and 17 Squirrel. I like them for brain shots under 50-75 yds on predators like coyotes and foxes, works fine on raccoons as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

@eurocentric
I was able to track down contact info for Blaine Leisy, will get in touch with him.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 400 20 gr. fmj bullets (Hornady, I think) if you are interested...I bought them in bulk a few years back and the finish is somewhat dull, but not tarnished. PM me if you are interested in them....they have sort of a false hp, really just a dent in the tip and shoot pretty good aout of my .17 Rem, but the hollow points or tipped bullets shoot better, I've shot a bunch of coyotes withe the fmj's and they do a number on a coyote, you really have to look hard to find either hole.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones Midwayusa sells occasionally have a solid tip, no cannelure. I'm having an AR made in .17 tactical and I'm very curious how they'll perform in that, I'm looking at 3500+ fps.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@bigguy459
PM sent. Thanks.

@eurocentric
Please let me know the results (accuracy, impact holes)...I usually push my .17 Rem 20 grain loads at around 3,900fps and even with small cross winds I get good resutls upto 200 meters.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
A huge THANK YOU to bigguy458....the lot of bullets arrived a few days ago and I finally got them loaded.

.17 Rem
24.7 grain bullet
Velocity 3,900 FPS

Here is the first batch of 30

My .17 Rem shoots about 1/2 inch low at 50 yards. So once I got in the ball park here is what it looked like.

After a bit of tweaking.....a life size crow at 100 yards. I am very happy with these FMJ bullets.

My goal is to make the smallest possible hole without blowing the body up. Will keep you posted on how it performs on the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My goal is to make the smallest possible hole without blowing the body up. Will keep you posted on how it performs on the hunt.

I thought solids were used for dangerous game?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@SR4759
There is a small niche area for solids in the mini-bullet arena. We are talking about tiny tiny bullets (20 grains, 25 grains) for varmint hunting, small fur bearing animals, and birds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i recall correctly bullberry made some also at one time. may still have the box on the shelf as my gun hated them.

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Somewhat OT but do you have any issues with the .17 cases splitting?
I don't mean the neck - rather the body of the case.
I've seen this happen to cases on their second reload which bodes ill cost wise.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Those FMJ's look like the old original plated bullets that Remington used back in the day. I atill have a few thousand of those that I bought from Midway a few years back. Yes I am a hoarder and no they aren't for sale. coffee

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). the body exploding phenom is a factor, much, of velocity. You use a Swift (or .204) at full power and you will still get pulping, ... "hydraulic schock."

#2). Mr. Corbin, Dave, corbins.com, swage.com, etc. has a list of custom bullet makers on the web site. All else fails you might find one of them close who would fill your need. etc. Luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with GoWyo, about the appearance of the bullets. They look to be the old Remington 17 Power-Lokt Hollow Point.

BTW, the bullet actually is jacketed. The attached pic(bad) is of some bullets that I sectioned, years ago.

The only solid 17 caliber bullets I've used, have been the L.R.B. 32VLD. It needs a 6" twist barrel.

I think Bullberry made some solids years ago.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Im in the same boat right now...

I got my .204 and I want 2 different types of rounds for it. one I want violent expansion for jerky, the other I want a solid for small entry and exit holes in case im after something I want to keep the cape or do a mount for.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:

I thought solids were used for dangerous game?

Solids are / can be used on small game like Duikers and other small African game
as it stops the skin from being destroyed by the Shock of the RN bullets.

You can sometimes lose a 6" circle of fur from a pelt due to this. Kind of ruin;s a full size mount !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who may be interested, the pic below is showing a jacketed Berger 37VLD next to a solid L.R.B. 32VLD.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a hold of Cutting Edge Bullets

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/

They to excellent custom work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted on the Cast Bullet site of some cast 17 bullets. If you would like more info PM me.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote