Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

just starting to swedge, using LEE press
 Login/Join

posted
I am using a one year old LEE classic cast single stage reloading press. I am using a CH die to swedge a fully annealed 9mm luger case with a .356 125 gr. Lead core pressed into it. to get a 190 gr. .400 HP for 40 S&W.

I've read in some other posts here that LEE is a poor choice of a swedging press, it seems well built, granted there are no roller bearings in the linkage pins.

I plan on using only pure Lead cores, but I did do a little experimenting with W/W Lead cores just to see...they seemed to swedge just fine, though it did take more effort from the operator.

I have been Handloading Ammo for about 7 years, But as a newbie here as well as to swedging, please feel free to comment.

JonB_in_Glencoe

Posts: 21 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 25 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I figured out the photo thing here, I swedged these after an hour of playing around with the die for the first time.

JonB_in_Glencoe

Posts: 21 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 25 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very good to me tu2

There is a fellow over on the Castboolits forum that is making these same bullets.
You might want to give him a yell. He even has a video of him making them.

Now if some one will just make some .416 300 grain we might get some more interest over here.

Cheers,
John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Phatman,
yeah he is re-selling the CH dies with added parts he manufactures himself. He (BT_sniper) is my source, I bought this die setup from him and am ordering a 429 setup too. He and I are also in the middle of some modifications to the Ram from my LEE press...improvements plus a automatic bullet eject.
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are doing fine.

Posts: 17059 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom Line: Most Lee presses have been aluminum and entirely adequate. Aluminum has a life. So many cycles and it fails, cracks, etc. With reloading that may be several lifetimes. With swaging, much sooner. (Use good lube.) Lee Cast press of iron, no such cycle problem. Yes it may fail, but if you get thru the first 1,000 without failure, chances are you will fail first. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the lee classic press is made of cast steel. I think at one time they advertised it as being made from scrap steel railroad track.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do they shoot and funtion do they expand.

Posts: 19327 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You might consider contacting Lee to see if they make a Swedging ram for the classic cast. RCBS makes one for the Rockchucker and it is basicaly a solid ram without the primer tool cutout. With that said, I swedge bullets for .358 and .458 with a standard RC press/ram. I think the Lee CC is about as strong as any "reloading" press made today. Unlesss I am mistaken I believe your press has a slightly larger diameter ram than most other presses.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't visited here in quite a while.

JonB_in_Glencoe