New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Walterhog bullets
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
May be I should visit this forum more often!?

I came over to this forum to post a note that our bullet making lathe has arrived, but we have not had teh time to unpack it.

Hopefully, we will do that sometimes next week.

Barnes X on the left and the Walterhog on the right. The fired ones were shot into our expantion box. The Barnes X penetrated 27 inches. The Walterhog went about 43 inches if memory serves me right.

Both are 300 grain 375 caliber, shot from the 375/404 at about 2700 fps.

These are bullets we have recovered from animals we shot this year in Tanzania.

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed what are you guy's using for stock Rod
Copper... Copper mix .... bronze .... Bronze mix ..

tungston ?
Nice solid's if that's your cup of tea

Are you using a water tank for testing
or a sand box Or somthing else ?

And last but not least .!! who ruined the 404 by changing it in to the wildcat 375/404 grrrr

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Martin,

We used pure copper rod. and after that little experiment, we increased teh depth and diameter of teh hollow point.

This seems to have helded the expansion, as you can see from the recovbered bullets in the second photo.

OH, and I was the one who made a few decent wildcats based on the 404, in 375, 338, 30 and 270 calibers.

Long before they became popular with gun manufacturers.

I only use two of the above my own hunting now.

The 375/404 and the 30/404.

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Martin,

We used pure copper rod. and after that little experiment, we increased teh depth and diameter of teh hollow point.

This seems to have helded the expansion, as you can see from the recovbered bullets in the second photo.

OH, and I was the one who made a few decent wildcats based on the 404, in 375, 338, 30 and 270 calibers.

Long before they became popular with gun manufacturers.

I only use two of the above my own hunting now.

The 375/404 and the 30/404.

Quote:

OH, and I was the one who made a few decent wildcats based on the 404, in 375, 338, 30 and 270 caliber's

Shame on you ...Saeed The 404 Jeffery is a VERY fine round
as is the 9.3x64 both should be left as thay are .
Only Insain Ray< would mess with a great round like the 404
only Ray would sell off all his 9.3x64's thinking thay were no enough for cape ..And go backward's to a 9.3x62 thinking that was an UPGRADE....Shame on you Saeed

I found that making the Meplat's wider and then making the hollow point's a bit deaper get's me a greater expantion
That's why i went to the 10 deg taper on all the PA Bullet's
and left them flat nosed
On the jacketed bullet's with hollow point i get a tremduse
amount of mushrooming for instance on the .458 10 deg
in a 400 grain bullet the taper start's at the halfway point
on the overall lenght of the bullet and come's to a meplat of 30 cal at it's point i keep that same meplat all the way up and past 600 grain in the .458 it roll's the jacket..>
((0.040 ) < jacket wall thickness)> when fired at in a 400 grain bullet 2300 FPS almost half the jacket back over it self.
Hollow point that same bullet roll's the jacket darn near
flat when the hole ( the hollow point ) is half the deapth of the bullet's over all lenght.

There is no call for solid's here in the state's The last
T Rex died 2 or 3 million years ago..
So all the solid's i will be swaging out are going to be Deap hollow point's i plain on making the hollow point end's the same as the meplat's so my .458 10 deg's will have a hollow point of 30 cal and be out of the softest Copper i can find.....

375/404 is a ok idea but 404 .. well i just like the bigger slug's/bullet's

What are you getting anyway with a 350 grain fired out of the 375/404...
One last question if i may Saeed ?
have your turned any duo diamator's/Bore rider's bullet's out for the 404 or can you get a 500 to shoot through your's

There very nice looking bullet's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote