Notify
Tools

Whacky idea
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
How crazy is this idea -

Use fired but not deprimed 9mm brass for bullet jackets. Insert the appropriate lead wire segment, push into a point forming die and end up with cheap bullets. Next have a barrel made with the land diameter to match the outside of the 9mm case and a suitable bore diameter about six thousandth less. You would be basically shooting brass bullets like Nosler's first ones which he turned on a lathe. Is the brass case too hard for this use? I know it would be impractical and expensive, but is it feasible?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
How crazy is this idea -

Use fired but not deprimed 9mm brass for bullet jackets. Insert the appropriate lead wire segment, push into a point forming die and end up with cheap bullets. Next have a barrel made with the land diameter to match the outside of the 9mm case and a suitable bore diameter about six thousandth less. You would be basically shooting brass bullets like Nosler's first ones which he turned on a lathe. Is the brass case too hard for this use? I know it would be impractical and expensive, but is it feasible?

As it is i some time's use 300 win mag or 7 MM mag or even 458 win mag shell case's for jackets in my .510 diameter bullet's
The die set to convert shell case's in to jacket's can be bought from Dave Cobin or richard Corbin.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think the 9mm and 223 could be shot in a .375
I think I would pour lead into the jackets and then form.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
I think the 9mm and 223 could be shot in a .375
I think I would pour lead into the jackets and then form.

What kind of swage die system do you have ?

Is it one made at Dave Corbin's in White City,Oregon
or Richard's in Phoenix, Oregon

Do you have the draw dies for the shell case's
to convert them in the jacket's? or are you going to wing it ?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
The idea was to minimize the work by doing nothing more than filling the cases with lead and forming a point. I haven't miked the cases but I assume that they are not of a common bullet diameter and would require a custom barrel and custom point forming die. This would immediately make the project financially impractical. I was more curious with the feasibility of using brass cases for bullet jackets from the standpoint of the composition of the cases. I know Nosler used straight brass to make his first partitions, I have a few. This made me wonder if cartridge brass was useable also.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
A 223 case measures around .374-.375" at the base. Sounds pretty close to me. I don't have a 9mm case at my desk, but I believe they are about the same.

I don't have a bullet swageing system, but I'm sure I could turn a nose forming die and hammer some out.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've used 45 acp cases as light hollowpoints out of my 480 revolver Big Grin I'd considered making jacketed bullets out of them, but then I figured I could cast bullets as fast as I could swage them, needed no new equipment, and for the revolver appication, didn't see a benefit of a jacketed bullet.

If you've always wanted a 375 H&H, here is your justification. A jacketed bullets should be slightly bumped up when swaged, so the 9mm case sounds perfect.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my younger, wilder days, I shortened a .30 carbine case, and filled it with molten lead.

I fired it through a .357 magnum revolver, but was unable to achieve decent accuracy.

I probably gave up on the idea too soon. I am sure that it would work if the proper recipe is found.

Not sure that it serves any real purpose, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to fill it with anything. Doug Olson at Knights Armament developed a prototype revolver and SMG that fired "bulletless ammo". The first round was an empty 9mm case, that was racked through. The second was a 9mm that was filled to the top with powder and given a flat wax cap. It pushed that first empty into the front of the "chamber" using a 375 barrel. Pulling the trigger would propel this mini cookie cutter at amazing speed with surprising accuracy. Car windshields were easily defeated. Rather than ejecting the empties the traditional way, the SMG would simply push them into the chamber, firing it out the muzzle.

Worked like a champ, never went any further that I know. Makes policing your brass hard to do bewildered

For our .458 SOCOM we've looked at taking 44 Mag cases, turning off the rim, filling them with #8 and seating a JHP on top with normal 44 Mag dies. It would look just like a rimless 44 but the idea was to make a short range frangible that would tear up anything it hit. Too bad the .44 Mag cases are a hair too small when sized ...

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and they thought i was nuts when i wanted to cut off 30/06/270/308 stuff, fill em with lead, and use them for 470 mbogo practice ammo!!

"they" certainly didn't like my bigbore glazer.... atomized SS and superglue

wonder what could besized to .550 ish?!?!?!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, what about a RUM or WSM case?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com