Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hawk Bullet's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted
I have shot them in my SRH 480,bought 5 boxes different designs/weights just to try them.Then I started casting my own and they have sit on a shelf ever since.
They did shoot good.

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used some in my 444 marlin and the bear never felt a thing. The exit hole was at least 2 inches across and the right shoulder was splintered, no lungs but I missed the heart. I think the concussion knocked him down and out.
These were the 300 grain HP with the .025 jacket.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I have shot .411 and .416s, they are some of the best bullets that I have ever shot. I have custom 40-90 that is equal to a 375 H&H. shoots a .416-300 .035 grain Hawk RN at 2500 fps. Shot my best group ever at 100 yds. with these [.230 ] for 3 shots.

BS

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have shot .411 and .416s, they are some of the best bullets that I have ever shot.

I was just wondering if you have shot the thinner .025" jackets in the .411" and .416"? I want to try some .411 Hawk 350gr bullets and am wondering what jacket thickness for 2200fps? Thanks
BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
welcome : BigRx

It all depend's on what your shooting at and what you want the bullet to do once it hits it's target

A jacket wall of 0.025 will react atlot like a jacket wall of 0.030 made from soild copper or do you want to use gilled jacket's there harder 90/10

Are you shooting deer or elk or bear couger ..all have thin skin or are you shooting at africa plains game kudo..>like elk ,,..springbuck >like small deer..once again thin skinned

or are you think about cape buffalo whole diffrent ball game

A 0.025 jacket is almost no diffrent then 0.030 and works just fine on thin skinned game at 2200 it will roll back
alot/mushroom it all depend's on the mplat/nose/poiny
the bullet's ..ogive>..Sound's like ..O J I V E.<

Is the bullet a flat point a spitzer a VLD a round nose..

It all come's down to what your shooting at and how far away it will be...

The other question's to ask later on are do i use gilled jacket's or pure copper ...do i use pure lead or a mix

to answer your question ..

Will a .411 with a 0.025 jacket expand at 2200 FPS
yes if your shooting at an elk 100 yard's away

same with a .416

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear more about the core separation thing. I remember it being pretty controversial as to whether that actually happened or the shooter concluded that was what happened after the fact. I don't have a stake in Hawk bullets but I can't imagine someone being able to stay in business with a product that prone to liability issues. And, I have shot Barnes originals for a lot (I mean a LOT) of years in several calibers without ever hearing of a similar problem?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'd like to hear more about the core separation thing. I remember it being pretty controversial as to whether that actually happened or the shooter concluded that was what happened after the fact. I don't have a stake in Hawk bullets but I can't imagine someone being able to stay in business with a product that prone to liability issues. And, I have shot Barnes originals for a lot (I mean a LOT) of years in several calibers without ever hearing of a similar problem?

Good old Barn's copper tubing bullet's now thats some old bullet's...

There are alot of thing's that can make a core slip it's jacket if not bonded
the use of to much lube on the swage die's while seating the core's.Once it get's inbetween the jacket and the core
( and there's no way to tell) your looking at a core that will slip it's jacket..and every bullet i have fired .tubing
or preformed jacket with bottom unless bonded will not stand up to the 55 gal drum test .step back about 20 feet and fire a unbonded bullet though a empty 55 gal drum and watch some time's you can even get two hole's coming out the back one lead core and one jacket.

barn's bullet's have lost there jacket's over the year's and there still doing fine ..although thay don't use copper tubing like thay used to .

The bigger the bullet's the more likley it is to slip it's jacket on impact or even in the barrel if unbonded and fired at a high vel/. using the hawk bullet in 25 and 30 and 35 and even 40 cal is not a probl/..
there very well made bullet's and no one should worry about the jacket's coming off...

If you would like i can post up more indeapth on this topic
but for now there is no need to worry about shooting a box of hawk bullet though your rifle there just fine

pottys

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have read some about core slippage in materials on the 50 BMG but am not an expert by any means. I just wondered to what degree the talk about Hawk bullets leaving jackets in the barrel is real and/or urban legend. I am going to continue shooting them and I want to try some of yours too. when I get my 505 Gibbs up and running I'll contact you.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome.

Mr. Potts,

My thoughts for the .411 350grain Hawk round nose with .025" jackets, (pure annealled copper Hawk says)
was for use on black bear 100 yards or under with the old .405. I was thinking the .025" jacket even if it "spooled" up a lot to put most of its energy into the bear and still maybe exit....But Hawk makes this bullet in .035" jacket as well. The 350 grain weight is what I like.

These remarks quoted above from an earlier post bothered me a lot as well. I have used quite a few of the early Barnes copper tubing jacketed bullets with pretty good results overall. I even "dug" into my old stash to find some........ Even some old 400 grain .458's with .049" jackets were closed pretty tightly in the base I thought, especially for the thick jacket. They had about a 1/16" hole on average. I can't believe this would ever be enough to blow a core out from firing and barrel pressure.....

Are the Hawk's closed this tight(tighter)in the base ??

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a current production Barnes Original in .510 x 450 grains and a Hawk .550 x 700 grains in hand. The Barnes hole is just barely under an eighth and the Hawk is barely under 3/16ths. At first blush the Hawk looks much larger but a small amount of lead seems to be extruded out the base hole and riveted over during swaging, looking like a larger lead exposure. Hope that helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hawk bullets in 2 rifles with GREAT results. In my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle a 300 grain .025jkt Hawk has performed excellent on deer and pigs at @ 2330fps. This bullet mushrooms to the size of a quarter.
In my 9,3x74R double I have used the 285 grain Hawk with the .035jkt, again with excellent results of deer, wild pigs, baboon, and impala. The velocity of this load is @ 2350fps. It mushrooms almost as big as the 450/400 bullets do with a good amount of shank left, the 400 cal bullets are pretty much "coined out" [that means mushroomed flat].
For black bear I would use the .035jkt bullets.
In fact on my next bear hunt in Idaho this June I will use the 450/400 double with a 400 grain Hawk with the .035jkt at @ 2200fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote