New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jacket a cast bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can this be done? I'd like to cast a core for a 357/358 caliber 180-200 rain bullet and stick it in a jacket. Something like the half jacket bullets that Speer used to make. How possible is this?

Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

one of us
posted Hide Post
The little I know about it, you need to cast itundersized, caliber minus (jacket thickness x 2) minus something like .0005" or so. The "swage" part is that you're increasing the size. So you need to start out undersized. If you use a .003" jacket, and can cast or size down to .348" or so (or just use a 348 Win mould!) then it seems you could jacket it. But then why pay all the money for the swaging equipment and not get the core form die, and still have to mess with casting?

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnypaul:
Can this be done? I'd like to cast a core for a 357/358 caliber 180-200 rain bullet and stick it in a jacket. Something like the half jacket bullets that Speer used to make. How possible is this?

Casting Lead Cores

Price list

You can find jackets there as well ..at corbins

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote