Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Start-up costs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Thank you for the info, but I think you lost me somewhere. I'm unable to understand how a 30 cal can be used for a 32 and a 37 cal... Obviously, I should buy one, or more, of them bullet-making books I've seen advertised. Is there a single book that explains all this, or do I need the set?
I'm only interested in making heavy-for-calibur round-nosed bullets for the 8mm. TIA ~~~Suluuq

==============

Rusty Gunn

There are die's that the jacket's are run through that
draw = squeeze the jacket's down a size Or force it up Or = expand it to the next larger size ..
Remmber this is just the copper/tubing/jacket's were talking about nothing more.

It work's somthing like this .

You buy copper tubing in lenght's ...say 14 inch .next you cut it with a little saw ..Small tile saw or something like that. then one by one each small jacket lenght piece is placed into a die that taper's one end to a semi cone/point
that piece is then placed into another die were the pointed or coned end is flattened up back into the tube or jacket forming the finished jacket ..
If you are going to us that jacket for a smaller bullet then you will of course need to draw or squeeze it through
another die down to the size or diamator your looking for
if on the other hand your going to try and make it bigger in diamator your going to need to draw it up
Its done almost the same way but it's placed on a tappered pin or rod( the copper jacket) and forced into the die making it larger . it takes a long time to do all this .
but if your making tubing jacket's it can be worth it .

I hope that helps clear some of it up .. or have i made it worste

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake. For some reason I thought you had the tubing jacket maker set. Never the less a .50 caliber tubing jacket maker set can be used, with the right draw dies, to make a variety of jackets from .510 to .416 and more.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My mistake. For some reason I thought you had the tubing jacket maker set. Never the less a .50 caliber tubing jacket maker set can be used, with the right draw dies, to make a variety of jackets from .510 to .416 and more.

Jungli Bains

Buddy hey.!!
no harm no foul .. guy you be du man .!!

Tubing --jacket making is /or should i say can be done but not very well using the swage die;s but i stink at it .

You know more then me . toooo long ago i did some with other bullet diamator's and i didn't do it very well

thats why i get them from butch

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I can understand what you are saying this time.
I went to the rce web page, and have added it to my favorites list. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote