New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: lathe-turned bullets...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Melting in the core will anneal the jacket. I make my solids on a CNC. I haven't made a lead core on the CNC yet. I have noticed that speer machines their high dollar bullet...But...They do draw it once.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fo the info...
"you trying to make a jacket..."
Yes, I figured a solid rod could be hollowed out/drilled deep enough to add lead rod to make a bullet.
It must be correct that without a swage step in the process the bullet's nose would be flat. I'm interested in a round-nosed bullets.

Q... which is more differcult to make bullets with, lathe-turned jacketed bullets, or swaged tube jacketed bullets? Which method might be more time consuming?
Assuming nearly identical RN bullets, of the same calibur and weight, which process would produce a cheaper bullet?Thank you all, you've all been a great help.
Lately I've gotten quite intrigued with bullet making. Very interesting. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks fo the info...
"you trying to make a jacket..."
Yes, I figured a solid rod could be hollowed out/drilled deep enough to add lead rod to make a bullet.
It must be correct that without a swage step in the process the bullet's nose would be flat. I'm interested in a round-nosed bullets.

Q... which is more differcult to make bullets with, lathe-turned jacketed bullets, or swaged tube jacketed bullets? Which method might be more time consuming?
Assuming nearly identical RN bullets, of the same calibur and weight, which process would produce a cheaper bullet?Thank you all, you've all been a great help.
Lately I've gotten quite intrigued with bullet making. Very interesting. ~~~Suluuq

Well let's see now ..

Let's try this If.. you were trying to make say ?
jacket's on a lathe for .358 ..On a normal lathe NOT cnc
you have to chuck up the rod and run the tail stock forward to a set deapth with the bit in it Sound's ok..
cost would be about 3to 5 cent's a jacket not adding your time of course...Or you can order pre made jacket's from
Harrell D Hairfield (GE Energy)
harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com The jacket's run from 7 to 14 cent's each depending on the lenght

Now the time it takes to make a bullet is a little diffrent

If your using a manuel press like a Wall Nut hill's
you have to start by cuting a lenght of lead
and running it through a core die to get it to come out to the right weight. next your going to need bond the two together jacket to lead core .once finished melting the two together your going to have to core seat the lead tighter
into the jacket. once done you will be running it into the point forming die and finishing the bullet.

When doing a run of bullet's it goes much faster .

you do all the core's first then weight each one with a jacket to make sure there all the same weight.

then move to the next thing with all the bullet's

so if your asking how much tiem does it take to make one bullet...about 10 min's from start to finish..'
using premade jacket's...Add 5 min's pre bullet if your going to make the jacket's your self..

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Does John Walker shoot with you on occasion? He once many many years ago was an interested shooter.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

M. POTS
If your using a manuel press like a Wall Nut hill's
you have to start by cuting a lenght of lead
and running it through a core die to get it to come out to the right weight. next your going to need bond the two together jacket to lead core .once finished melting the two together your going to have to core seat the lead tighter
into the jacket. once done you will be running it into the point forming die and finishing the bullet.

When doing a run of bullet's it goes much faster

It's not realy nessary to melt the core to the jacket unless you want a bonded bullet. Swaging in the core is more than enough to make a accurate benchrest bullet! I think.. But my opinion and a dollar will get you acup of coffee at the truck stop.

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sr25

Your right .. If your making up flat based bullet's
and you are not worryed about the jacket coming off when it hit's then yes .

If your making up bullet's and you want the jacket's
or jacket to hang with the lead core then bonding it is the route to go.

To often core's will come free from there jacket's unless
thay are bonded or another way is to cut thread's inside the jacket and use a smaller top punch and press the lead into the core that way the heaver the thread the tighter the lead core will hang on..although melting and bonding the core to a threaded jacket work's best if your really worried about jacket seperation.

and as far as benchresting a bullet thats not been melted into the jacketand bonded ....you can ..it's just that i don't..

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Johnny shoots, but he doesn't shoot with me. I wouldn't mind shooting with him at all. If memory serves, he's a hunting guide up here, so it stands to reason he'd teach me a thing or two. I grew up knowing his younger brothers Nelson and Randy (Nelson was a classmate), but I never actually knew Johnny like a friend. I just know about him some. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote