Swaging .22's in a RCBS Rock Chucker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
Hi All,

I have come to the conclusion since...
1) I need to start swaging .22 bullets
2) "S" in RBCS stands for "swaging", so I assume the rock chucker should be sufficient for those tiny bullets
3) I'm on a limited budget
...I just want to find some swaging dies that can fit into my rock chucker press. They need to make flat base round nose bullets at some 55 grains. I have a .22 core mold.

Any directions for me?

Regards,
/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Your thread started me thinking. Years ago I saw an article about a gismo that swaged .22 bullets using fired .22 rimfire cases for jackets. Anybody ever use one of these?
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

http://www.corbins.com/jackets.htm#rfjm

There fine for what there for used 22. bullet's from empty case's

as for plinking and just all around shooting yes for bench rest maybe kinda

?

It's a cheap way to get around the high cost of buying bullet's and remmber you can also use a like tool to make bullet's from empty 22.'s all the way up to 6 MM although

light weight there still fair bullet's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
Nah... I'll happily go for "real" jackets.

But, the Corbin dies do not fit in an ordinary reloading press, right?

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No not any more there custom made swage dies
thay will make them for a reloading press but thay all have upgraded to using there own press's now
like the S Press form Corbin or the wallnut hill's from
RCE Co
=============================================
From Richard Corbin

how much does a set of swage dies cost to make bullet's out of empty's ( .22 empty's )
Walnut Hill press, current version $249.00. Walnut Hill press, first version if available, $200.00. Three die bullet swaging set to make a flat base, open tip bullet, any caliber (core swage, core seat, point form-any ogive) $360.00. 22 RF case to .224 jacket die set $60.00. Shipping is about $32.00 to most locations in the continental US.

==============================================
But if it is garbage why keep fighting it? And quite frankly reloading press swages are a pretty poor way to make bullets. There isn't much good that I can say about them and I'd bet the type R dies we sold at Corbin's probably convinced more people to take up casting than anything else. I appreciate the fact that loading press swages are usually cheap but one often ends up paying more for cheap tools than if they paid the higher cost up front. Not to mention that reloading press swages are a pain the rump to use.
Then there is the Econo Swage sold by someone else. It's nothing more than another loading press swage and I made & sold a similar tool for $75.00. I think the Econo Swage goes for $249.00. So much for cheap.
=====
Letter i got back when i asked about it from Richard Corbin

I just wanted to make sure you understood it's not just me saying that using a reloading prees was no the way to go.

PLEASE EMAIL RICHARD CORBIN..

Please.! he really can help you

Pottsy

You really need to contact Richard Corbin by Email

richard@rceco.com

--------------------
Or phone him
1-541-512-0440