New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing Gas checks ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to start loading lead bullets for my 375 H&H. Never used a gas checked bullet for reloading - where do you get the gas checked bullets or where can gas checks be bought to cover a casted bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes gas checks. I have a bunch for the 44 mag as I recollect. Try Midway, MidSouth etc.
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Available to buy as above:

or
make you own

http://www.corbins.com/gascheck.htm

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the cast boolit has to have a base made to accept a gas check.
lazercast sells some gas checked type vullets but they usually come without a gas check and you need to install them yourself.
most bullets made for the 375 winchester and the 388-55 will work in your 375 but you need to know your bbls inside diameter so the bullet will fit properly.
you don't just cram a lead bullet in there and expect it to just be a replacement for a jacketed one.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lazercast sells some gas checked type vullets but they usually come without a gas check and you need to install them yourself.

This is going to sound smart (and I don't intend it that way), but if LazerCast sent me gas check-design bullets that were sized and lubed and they did not have the check on them, they would be sent back along with a note terminating my business dealings with them. Gas checks are either slipped on or snapped on the bullet base before sizing. The sizing step is what secures the check to the bullet. Anything else is purely unacceptable, as far as I am concerned.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Didn't find lazercast

I'm familiar with Laser-Cast

http://www.laser-cast.com/index.html

Don't see any .375's there.
I have used These great bullets :
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/wst_page5.html

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted :
you need to know your bbls inside diameter so the bullet will fit properly.

This is the second or third time I've seen this statement on various forums recently. It does NOT match my experiences at all.

What I really need to know is the size of the chamber's throat. Given that info, sometimes (quite often, in fact) bore diameter which does not include rifling depth seems almost irrelevant in my personal experience.

I have shot cast bullets pretty much as accurately as anyone else I've ever met in competition, and I have never cared one single whit about the bore diameter. In fact, I have one match gun which has a barrel with a groove diameter of .308"+ and through which I shoot cast bullets of .3146" diameter, because that is the throat diameter. It is not my best match gun, but it will consistently hold 5-shot groups under 1/2" at 100 yards. I don't know its bore diameter.

My best match gun has a groove diameter of .3080", bore diameter of .2998", 1-11"twist, and I shoot 196 gr. bullets sized .311" through it at 2,300 fps from the .30-BR cartridge case. It will shoot 10-shot groups of under 1/2" at 100 yards, IN MATCH CONDITIONS....that is 10 shots when I'm told to do it, not just when I feel like shooting.

My third best cast bullet match rifle is .3082" groove diameter, .2998" bore diameter, 11" twist, chambered in .30-PPC, and I shoot 210 to 215 gr. bullets through it, sized .311". It has fired 5-shot group match Aggregates at 100 yards which measured UNDER 0.4" so it's no bummer either. (A 5-shot group Aggregate is the average size of four consecutive 5-shot groups fired in a formal, registered, match.)

I am not saying that knowing the bore diameter will not help some folks choose bullets for their rifles. I am just saying that it sure isn't the only way which works.

BTW, my primary source of gas checks for the past 15 years has been Graf & Sons'.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the boolit fitting the throat is far more important then it fitting the groove diameter.
if you look at revolvers the boolit is fit to the throats of the cylinder not the bbl.
but if he is new he should at least have an idea why his boolit won't chamber [or isn't very accurate if too small] and know that his bore is say 302 if the nose of his bore riding boolit is 304 thats kinda handy.
and if his groove diameter is 309 a 308 sized boolit isn't gonna be much help either.
i am not gonna say bore riders are the way to go but they are mostly whats for sale.
telling a new guy to take a throat impact a chamber impression and slugging both ends of his bbl is just going to overwhelm him.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
the boolit fitting the throat is far more important then it fitting the groove diameter.
if you look at revolvers the boolit is fit to the throats of the cylinder not the bbl.
but if he is new he should at least have an idea why his boolit won't chamber [or isn't very accurate if too small] and know that his bore is say 302 if the nose of his bore riding boolit is 304 thats kinda handy.
and if his groove diameter is 309 a 308 sized boolit isn't gonna be much help either.
i am not gonna say bore riders are the way to go but they are mostly whats for sale.
telling a new guy to take a throat impact a chamber impression and slugging both ends of his bbl is just going to overwhelm him.

Perhaps. But, he has to learn it somewhere, sometime. He can't do that any sooner than now.

Further, as most makers don't give a choice in what the bore-riding part of their moulds will cast at, and as there aren't many sources for buying sizers to size the bore-riding part of a cast bullet, I'm still not sure the info will be of much help to him without considerably more explanation. Nor is he likely to have a nose-bumping die or know how or when to use it, either.

And personally, I'd recommend to him making a cerro-safe cast of his chamber neck & throat rather than pounding slugs into either end of his barrel...at least as a first step. Then he can get a visual image of what he is dealing with.

How he assesses the problem(s), if any, and what he does about it (them) are all part of the learning process in making cast bullets shoot.

If he doesn't have the stick-to-it-ivness to face those challenges up front, it is unlikely he will ever really understand or excel at CB shooting.

I'm betting he IS capable of making the grade, or he wouldn't have asked the question he did.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what do you guys do when the rifle has no throat or the throat is tapered and is very long?
BI have one rifle that has no step at the case mouth. The so called throat is the diameter of the chamber neck and tapers to the land diameter over about .400.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
So what do you guys do when the rifle has no throat or the throat is tapered and is very long?
BI have one rifle that has no step at the case mouth. The so called throat is the diameter of the chamber neck and tapers to the land diameter over about .400.

I would size and seat the bullet so that it is in full contact all the way around when it has moved about .005"-010"" out of the front of the case and try shooting it for accuracy. Then I would experiment to see if seating it deeper in the case improves accuracy or degrades accuracy.

Most throats I believe are tapered. That is not a problem per se. Very few chambers I have encountered have absolutely no throat (or "leade") but that would not change things unless the bullet also had NO taper but was both full bore-size and square at the very front end. I have only seen that situation with handguns, not rifles.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.