New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead mixture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen I have probably 250+ lbs of lead. I am going to start casting for my 44mag, 45ACP and 45LC. I already have a Lee production pot and have cast hundreds of round balls for my black powder pistol. I know there are several mixtures of lead, tin and antimony. However I need to find a source for the tin and antimony.
(I have a large supply of lead due to fact I am an old telephone man who has many telecom friends. For those not in the know, in the old days the telephone lines were sealed in lead sleaves. They are being phased out and I have a bunch of them.) I really need a supply of tin and antimony so I can cast some hard bullets. Thank for any help you can provide.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wheel weights, 50/50 solder. You might want to visit www.castboolits.com

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eddie. I also have large supply of wheel weights. Looks like it's time to crank up the old pot.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pistol bullets for most purposes are best made from straight wheelweight alloy.

If you have pure lead cable sheathing it is worth far more than alloyed lead.

Remember once you put tin and/or antimony into the lead it is as difficult to get out as milk from coffee....

Resist strongly the urge to alloy that pure lead I'm SURE you can find someone who will trade you wheelweight
or wheelweight alloy 2lb for one for your pure lead.

I won't I have several hundred pounds of pure soft lead,
I just brought home another 120# today... mostly lead drain pipe, some water supply pipe, a bit of cable sheathing

And the pure tin beer line I got at lead price because the people at the scrap yard thought it was lead (they have no seperate bin for lead anyway)

a couple of years ago I bought 200# of titanium scrap that they insisted was stainless steel... Ok....
I didn't try to argue with them again.

I have a really nice pot made of Inconel around here somewhere.... Yeah it's stainless, but it sure ain't steelSmiler

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). as said, the pure lead is very valuable. Trade it, please, don't alloy it. Trade for the alloy you need.

#2). Lyman is the "last word" in this field, BECAUSE, they wanted a certain weight to advertise with their molds. In "our #2 alloy" it, the bullet, weighs...

#3). If you scrap yard is so dull, by all means, bug them for "tin" and they may sell it to you as lead or ??? None getting any cheaper.

#4). Tin got expensive many years ago and they started fazing it out of wheel weights. Unless your wheel weights are decades old, ... Pure tin is available and takes heat to alloy. 50/50 soldier is available in any hardware/plumbing supply outlet --should be-- but, again, no longer cheap. luck.