THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    corbin base disks, will they work with a swag-o-matic?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

corbin base disks, will they work with a swag-o-matic?
 Login/Join

posted
These disks are cheap enough and they may work on the CH equipment. Do any of you use these. Do any of you have a Swag-0-matic as well? Anyone have a few I can try in .45cal.? Any discussion on these base guard disks would be of interest. Thanks JB

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use the Basegard on 357, 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
Corbin's dies have a dimple in the bottom for lead to extrude into holding the copper disk onto the bottom of the bullet. The copper disks come funnel shaped and get flattened at the copper disk is rivited by the extruding lead.
For what it's worth I had the 357 dies made .3585, the 45 acp dies made .4535 and the 45 Colt dies made .4545.
The reason for making the dies a bit larger was something I learned for casting and sizing tons of cast bullets.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Arkypete, does this dimple allow the lead to curl around the side of the hole as would be the head of a rivit? I could make a dimple in a pushrod to copy that and stuff it in the S-O-M to achieve the same result. just a hunch by your handle and where you live. Do you shoot these in Cowboy action and are they legal with its metal butt? Oh and I started this thread, I am trying to kill my old account because I never intended my name to be posted. Of all the boards I have ever used this one has always caused me fits. This will be like my 4th account. actually it was email problems not these boys fault. One last question, what is the dia. of the 45cal disks before they are flattened?

aka JBMauser

Posts: 13 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 11 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The dimple does give a rivit holding the Base gard onto the bullet. The copper base is smaller then the diameter of the die, just small enough to drop into the die..
If you were to chuck the pushrod in a lathe so that you would drill an 1/8th inch diameter by 1/8 th inch deep dimple you would have about what you need to hold the basegard onto the bullet.
I don't know if it makes any difference but I drop my basegard into the die with the pointed end up. It's my thinking that as the lead forces the basegard into the die the lead extrusion begins before the basegard and lead botom out.
I used the bullets for indoor bullseye shooting, outdoor bullseye. The most fun I had was shooting 250 grain full wadcutters for plinking. The SWC nose punch with basegard in either of the 45s were most accurate. The 357 dies using soft lead slugs from an old 4 cavity mold produced some fine 150 grain semi and full wadcutters, also accurate.
I played with using Lee's tumble lube, which created a fine mess in my loading dies. Dropped that real fast.
Corbins tumble lube didn't mess up the dies but didn't add any benefit.
Arkypete came from my Grandmother. She knew the gentleman about 90 years ago down in New Mexico. She was a young bride then and Granddad was working on the Santa Fe laying track. They were poor and could not afford much, so Grandmother didn't have any firearm for defense. So he loaned her a falling block, I think it's a Steven's, some odd 32 or 35 caliber. The Mexican revolution had ended a few years before and some of the out of work revolutionaries would come across the border for a little bit of neighborly rape and robbery.
One morning Grandmother woke up and was getting her day going, she was alone, and she saw two somberos out by the ranch gate. So like any right thinking young lady of the time, she shot the men out from under them. When granddad showed up a couple of day later, she advised Granddad it might be a good idea to bury them. They were starting to stink.
Well, Arkypete had said that when she didn't need the rifle any more bring it back or if he needed it he'd come get it. The rifle is in good shape for when he wants it.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and thanks for a great story. These guard disks might be the ticket. I will check out over on the cowboy boards to see if these bullets would be legal for matches. JB

aka JBMauser

Posts: 13 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 11 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of ExE7
posted Hide Post
Corbin Mfg will modify an existing flat base punch or make a copy of a CH base punch with a dimple in it for the old Swag-0-Matic press and dies, and the BG disks will then work fine with those same dies. Or you can do it yourself with a small round-end mill or even a rotary burr if you don't try to use a hand-held Moto-tool! Needs to be exactly centered, using a lathe or a very rigid mill and collet fixture, or something equivalent.

The little dimple machined into the punch doesn't hurt it for use with gas checks, half jackets, or even lead bullets. It just makes the bullets have a small round bump in the center of the base. They sit a little funny on the table top as a result, but they shoot just fine. So you could modify an existing punch for BG disks and not hurt it for its original job.

Posts: 10 | Location: Medford, Oregon | Registered: 29 September 2006Reply With Quote