New
Find
Notify
Tools

molly coating cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any Ideas guys? I have casting lead bullets for .40s&w, 9mm, .44mag, and .45acp. I use the lee stuff with the tumble lube grooves. If I molly coat the bullets would this eliminate the need for the tumble lube? If not any one got any idea on how to get that waxy material off of the tips of the bullets before they are shot. That goo really gums up the gun fast.

Thanx guys,
Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I shoot cast rifle. So use a Lube-N-Sizer. It pushes the lube in the groves and trims off the extra lead. It also keeps the lube from getting all over the bullet that dose not need it. Sometimes I will mess around with powder molly and hand tumble the bullets after in the powder. Making sure they all get a nice coat of the powder. Now as for your issue I would recommend (not a fan of lee) a lube n sizer. Lee makes a nose feed I be leave, Lyman and RCBS make a bottom feed. Meaning the bottom is pushed in to the sizer trimming the extra and then you crank a little handle at the top forcing lube in the lube groves.
Do you Crimp your cases? Because I was told, I do not need to. But I couldn't tell you if you need to or not. But when I do not crimp I find there is less crap to clean from the chamber after shooting.

I will close this with a few links with places to look at or buy the lube n sizer's. If that is what will work great, it not well its info for later projects maybe.

http://www.midsouthshooterssup...NG&dept3=LUBRICATORS

http://www.midwayusa.com/brows...ategoryString=685***

Hope this helps
James

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the tumble lube stuff work fine and don't much of a problem with leading. the problem is the wax all over the evposed part of the bullet. When it cycles in an auto it gums up the action and eventually prevents feeding. I thought just molly coating and no waxy lube if possible?

Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I was advised it would be a bad idea to run only tumble moly.
But I cannot remember who told me that and why.
But I do use the Lyman Super Moly, but you need there lube sizer.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...sting/super-moly.php

I know this may not be helping too much and sounding more like a sales department. Sorry!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want wipe it off with a cloth. I have no trouble with it gumming up my semi auto's just shot 300 rounds of the same bullet and lube in my 40S@W I belive I could shot another 300 without trouble. I don't go to trouble of cleaning it off.

I do wipe it off with a rag on my revolver hunting loads so they doesn't collet sand and dirt.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote