New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modified .458 300 gr. Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a modification I made to a .458 Remington 45/70 300gr.Rifle Bullet. My interest is for muzzleloading applications for which they perform excellently,but I see no reason they couldn't be used for what they're designed just with a better B.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokeeter......
Explain how you did this,,,I would like to know so I can repeat it for myself to be used in my #1..45-70.

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jebb, I run them through a custom made die that reshapes the nose into more of a spitzer, it still leaves a slight hollow pt.
I gave up on trying to get the Barnes Originals and decided to use these, they're great and I've had excellent results out past 250 yrds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, where do I get one of these dies and how much will it cost ??? Thanks

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You stated you have these in the classified section???? I must be looking in the wrong place. How much per box ????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
these are dies that I made for myself, I'm not presently making any for resale.
the listing in the classifieds for the bullets was when I first posted about the modification and I'm sure that listing ( in the classified section) is way back and possibly deleted.
I am presently out of stock and I don't know when I will be replacing them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you explain how you made the dies and what you used for the basic start?? I am on my last box of Barnes originals, and I need to find something to use. Will Your dies work for the 350's and up to the 500 grs as well???
Send me a PM and let me know how you made these dies....
.....jebb45@kci.net......
thanks

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Do you have a BC?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
That is very interesting any more news on this now?

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a mod. I did to nosler 260 gr. .4515 partition, added a lead tip which bumped the wt up to 281 grs. The speers are just reshaped no extra weight.

And a reshaped XTP in 250 and 300 gr.

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
This is just wrong you can't continue to tease like this...

I need the technology so I can do this myself for my T/C Contender carbine in 45-70...

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they expand on game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The noslers haven't been tried on game since I performed the reforming with the lead tip added. originally I just reshaped the existing nosler which forced the front lead core out of the hollow pt to form the spire pt.and narrowed the original hollow pt., I did shoot two mature moose this fall and expansion was less than ideal hence the added lead nose it left the original hollow pt close to original diameter which improved expansion ,test in mediums showed excellent expansion and penetration.
The xtp ( non magnums) as shown and the remingtons have excellent terminal ballistics with extended range capabilities great penetration and weight retension of 80% on whitetails. The magnum version are a little heavier jacketed and expansion was lacking on deer size game.
The pick below show both mods to the noslers the left without the lead and the right one with the added lead.

Also I forgot to mention all of the above bullets have been resized down to .450 dia. with no core seperation. Heres a pic of a cut away of some of the ones resized.

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
This is just too cool!!!!

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, LikeJebb45, could you please describe how you make sizer dies? I made a reducer for 405 45's to 416 but the point comes out ugly. Your points are nice. How do you do that? thanks, Dan PM me if it is easier.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this hasn't been talked about in awhile but I just found this post. I would be interested in information on doing this. I would like to reshape the noses of both .452 and .458 dia bullets. Thanks.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Could you use the same die to put a spire point on the Remington 405gr .458 bullets for the 45/70?
They already expand a little to good,so your not going to hurt that. A little better nose will realy aid the long range potential.

thanks,
John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the reason for spire pt. was for better long range performance. closing up the nose was also for better controlled expansion ( at least in theory) and results have been good.
the dies I have are for .4515-.452 and a set for .458,the wt. of the bullet doesn't matter just the diameter, and a specific die is required for each, so yes the 405's could be done also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokeeter.......
Lets get down to business...how do you make the die and nose punch??????? I have a double 45-70 that I built and want to shoot a spitzer type bullet in it and no one and I mean no one makes a spitzer bullet for this caliber anymore since Barnes dropped their orginals. Please help with this problem.......jebb45

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Check out Hornady .458" 325gr FTX these are the bullets that are in the Leverlution ammo.

I have been loading them for my 45-70 T/C Contender carbine and they are now my favorite bullet that I use in this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moki...
The Hornady bullet would be fine, except I made a major purchase from Sierra some time back for several boxes of their 300 gr HP. It would be great to redesign the nose for a better BC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's a 300 grain nosler that was modified , no lead buckshot added just squeezed the lead nose into a spitzer point.
original mod.260 gr. with buckshot on the left and the 300 gr with no shot on the right, didn't like the blunt nose.

improved version

improved version

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a similar process to 45 HTP with a top punch and a #4 buckshot and a lyman 450 lubrisizer press, the top punch was for spire pointed bullets so when pressed it formed the buck shot to be a spire point on the 45 HTP bullet

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I did a similar process to 45 HTP with a top punch and a #4 buckshot and a lyman 450 lubrisizer press, the top punch was for spire pointed bullets so when pressed it formed the buck shot to be a spire point on the 45 HTP bullet

I believe you inspired me ( from Dougs board) but I found that the #4 buckshot was just a friction fit and some shallower hollow pt bullets wouldn't secure the tip adequately.
My nose punch is custom and with the aid of a hydraulic press I can squeeze the lead core out thru the hollow pt and form it into a spire pt.The 300 gr noslers are not a hollow pt but filled with the upper lead core which forms nicely in this application.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your right I posted that procedure a few years ago on Doug's after buying the ML10 ago, again it would only work on a hollow point unless you drill a cavity into a soft pointed bullet

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Smokeeter can you post pictures of your punches, tools and press?

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan416:
Hey Smokeeter can you post pictures of your punches, tools and press?

Dan PM ed you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoke, where do you buy your dies and your press from?
And how do you deside what size resizing die you need to resize a all copper Barnes ML bullet? IYRC, I bought some of your resized bullets and vials while you were over at Doug's.
Thank's
Arthur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old post but:

Can you imagine if it was bumped up to .458 and shot at max speed out of a Lott?
I would love to see the bullet tests.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a new set of forming dies , It'll be used to reform and size to .458 diameter to work with my Full Forming die.
I reformed 300 gr. XTP's and bumped them up from .452 to .458 diameter. It'll do everything but solid coppers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those point forming dies make perfect .452 bullets for the 450 bushmaster!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This venture is for muzzleloader application but will work for others

I've been asked allot about how I point my muzzy bullets. I've been doing this a long time and have tweaked a few things along the way.
I had some custom dies made , both for a specific bullet diameter and a nose punch to form the spire point. The nose punch has to be the same size as the sizing die. ie. .4515/2 or .458 etc. These dies are also hardened. With this set up you can also bump up a bullets diameter example from .452 to .458. this works great for full forming bullets in our .45 cal barrels.
The dies can be made from most tool and die jig makers, just make sure they're hardened, the first dies I made were not and didn't hold up to the force of the hydraulics.

The reshaping process entails a stock bullet placed in the die and then with the aid of hydraulic press ( mine is made from a 4 ton bottle jack), the bullet is squashed into shape of a particular nose shape. This only works on lead or lead core jacketed bullets, mono's not so well and I didn't want to compromise the dies. The lead core gets forced up thru the hollow point of the stock bullet and forms the point. This process also ensures that all bullets end up the same diameter and are concentric.

When bumping up a bullets diameter a smaller bullet is placed in the larger die and when the bullet is squashed under pressure it fills the die and ends up to the larger size.

I like tinkering and take great satisfaction in taking game and shooting good groups with MY Bullets.

When I resize bullets I just run the bullet thru the particular sizing die with an arbor press and a brass push rod.

I don't know if the pointing helps especially at closer distances ( less than 300 yrds) but I think it helps in controlling the expansion and thus better terminal ballistics, plus it also builds confidence in my shooting. I haven't seen any ill effects of this except for the time spent in the process.

Here are a few pics of the equipment used.

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this especially now that I have trouble with the feeding of my XTP bullets in my Ruger American Ranch rifle in 450 BM

I'd like to figure this out as well I do have access to a hydraulic electric powered press at my old shop

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ancient thread but I just saw it. If the goal is better BC,, then just putting a point on a bullet is not going to help much; there is a lot more to it than that; not much you can do for such a short bullet.
But if its is for feeding, then yes.
Look at dies from Corbin; if they are still in business. Although I have made them.

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Agreed if BC is the goal in my case I want better more reliable feeding of spire point style bullets that are tougher than the FTX bullets

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Corbin is still in business, I have an order pending. It's a spendy proposition though. Any suggestions on what would be a good steel to make some jacket forming dies from? I need something mild but hardenable. 1045 maybe?

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote