Find
Notify
Tools

Swaging to .366?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I know nothing about swaging bullets and am trying to find out if it is possible to downsize larger bullets to fit into a 9.3mm. Just how big a bullet can you use to swage down to .366? What is the least expensive approach if you don't want to cast bullets?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just to be clear, swag UP, draw DOWN in bullet making context.

.005 is considered HUGE for bonded jacketed bullets

but, of course, a swag or draw dies set is ex$pen$sive

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
OK, I think. If I have some .375 lead bullets then they are far too big to be downsized to .366 in a single pass? Probably just better off investing in a .366 mold in that case.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have swaged 300gr jacketed 429 pistol bullets to 416 in a single pass. A bigger jump then 375 to 366. I used a heavey press and a lee sizeing die I bored out from 410 to 416.

If one would want to take a couple of lee sizing dies and bore them out to a couple of differant dia. One could do it in a couple of passes.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a custom push through size die made in .368", to size down .377" bullets I use in my 375 H & H. No problem at all. Gonna try them in my 9.3 x 74R when the weather gets better.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nothing about swaging bullets and am trying to find out if it is possible to downsize larger bullets to fit into a 9.3mm. Just how big a bullet can you use to swage down to .366? What is the least expensive approach if you don't want to cast bullets?

.375's will go to .366" in a single pass, use swage lube on them to make them go easier though... I've done thousands...

Keep in mind, longer 375's can becone bananna shaped, and drawing a bullet down WILL cause the core to slip. Sometimes this will show, sometimes it won't, but it will always happen.

Accuracy with some bullets can be poor too..

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I've found that "swaging" down or sizing jacketed bullets to a smaller size makes for loose jackets. The jacket springs back some after passing the smaller hole but the lead core does not.
I swage .358 bullets up to .366 for my 9.3X72R drilling, in a die I made for the purpose & a 20 ton press (don't need that much pressure). You can also modify the bullet design a little in the process. There's a good description of the dies in the book (the home guide to) "Cartridge Conversions" by George Nonte. A great book to have if you like odd or "obsolete" calibers.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink:
I have a two die set for swage from 375 to .366.
Have done hundreds of bullets and works wonderfull.
For your information also have one die to take .323 bullets to .318
And .358 to.353 (this is the diameter of a mannlicher 9x56 bullets)
Sincerely
Guillermo Trotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems I read someplace that .010" reduction is about as much as you can get away with, without jacket slipping. It does loosen it some, but not enough to cause a problem IIRC. Bumping it up in diameter actually tightens the jacket & makes a tougher bullet but is harder to do.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote