Notify
Tools

Nub after turning?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi, I recently got my lathe CNCified.
I tried turning a couple of brass bullets and get a nub on the nose while parting off. What do you guys do to avoid this? Do I need to chuck it up and turn it off afterwards?
TIA

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grind your cutoff blade on a angle so the bullet will drop 1st.

If a little nub is left, you can put one of those stickey sanding disk on a flat surface, and gently stroke the nose of the bullet on it.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If feeding rod stock through the head stock
is what your doing set a tight angle and put a
sharper tapered bit .
Your really going to always have that last little bit.
Thats kinda why i used to run them all through the collet lathe afterwards. Just to touch them all up the same and remove thet nasty
little spots on the ends.

It's a pain but* but if you have the time you can make some darn fine bullets this way.
Also i use 900 grit wet/dry paper and oil to shine then and clean them up alittle more.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Hi, I recently got my lathe CNCified.
I tried turning a couple of brass bullets and get a nub on the nose while parting off. What do you guys do to avoid this? Do I need to chuck it up and turn it off afterwards?
TIA

I have shot a lot of Bridger Bullets with a nub on the bottom. It doesn't hurt anything, and the bullets are very accurate.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grain's is right .
It really dosn't hurt anything to leave it there .

Some folk's just like a really clean looking bullet .
And when your competing in the market place against big name bullet company's every bit helps.... but for your own use hey if the weights right shoot it

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll try that. I was turning them with the base out as I thought having a perfect base would be more important.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote