Notify
Tools

Malsby Bullets and Gardner Jackets.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all,

I have a line on about a thousand Malsby 62.5 gr. 6mm bullets. I can't find where they are made anymore, so, any Idea what they might be worth? I'm thinking that at this point, they may be high quality varmint pills.

Also, I 've been offered around 23K Gardner 6mm jackets. Some of these were from 1968. They are in good shape, a little off color, but not too bad. What might these be worth. I've been looking at the J4 jacket prices (whoa!) and realize that this is today's cutting technology hot commodities. 30-40 year old jackets not so much. So I'm thinking a little more money than scrap prices, but I may keep them and look into bullet making.

I appreciate any feedback.

Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have access to the equipment used to check jacket runout, you should make a random check of the jackets. If the runout is acceptable you can proceed. With only 1000 jackets at stake, dies, and all of the other equipment needed to make bullets, are going to make the final cost of these bullets far higher than the J4 jacket prices.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Doc,

There are 1000 Malsby bullets- complete.

There are 23,000 gardner jackets also 6mm. .825" in length.

150# of lead wire and bullet making dies are also available.

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were the 1000 bullets made on this same batch of jackets? If so load some up and do some shooting. If they shoot well, you are on your way. Good Luck.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
No, the Malsby bullets are commercial custom bullets, not jackets.

Two seperate entities.

The Jackets were made by Gardner, many years earlier. Some boxes have 1968 postage on them, no verdi gris- sp?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Malsby made match bullets years back. Gardner made jackets... Pretty good.

Point: This is the sort of thing old timers get all excited about. I would ask at benchrest.com or other competition places. No telling what huges sums of money you might be offerred. Price of copper is not going back to $0.80 / lb. any time soon... So not a bad investment. Happy trails in those flatlands. Been too long since I was there... Luck.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Well I bought all of the bullet making components and dies, but I have no instructions, not even sure if all of the die parts are here, let alone who manufactured the dies. The main die body is 7/8 x 14, so I can use them in a normal press. The bottom half screws out to change out the stages. The top of the die is radiused and highly polished. the bottoms of the dies are stamped G-6mm with an H below the plunger; 6mm-X (looks like lead swager (bleed off holes), Pointer die 6mm with a 7 below the plunger (7 ogive?) and one unmarked that looks larger diameter than a 6mm. There are several other stepped "plungers" that are unmarked.

I'm going to have to hit the library.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
So, I did receive a set of "instructions" These are Biehler and Astle dies from Rochester NY. ca 1957-8. I've received a bunch of help off of the BR forum and saubier sites. Some good threads on both of these sites.

I need to get the rest of the gear- lube, bullet board, ejector system, and I'll get to swaging.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to Cast Boolits and check into the swagging forum. Those guys will be able to help especially if you have a few photos.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you located in Wy?
There might be someone close to you that makes bullets.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Hal,

I'm in Casper. Indeed, the previous owner was a benchrester many years ago. I'm sure he had acquaintances that rolled their own bullets, but then again, since so many of these components are quite aged, I don't think the original owner was making them within a few decades of his death.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malsby made benchrest bullets in the late 70s and into the 80s. I bought 2 benchrest rifles off a guy in about 1981 and he gave me a couple of boxes. They shot really well.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote