New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking CNC Routine For 470 NE Bullet Making
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have access to a HAAS CNC lathe and was hoping someone would have a CNC routing that I might use to make bullets from pure copper or machinable copper. The 470 NE bullets should be either a 0.474 diameter or a 0.475 diameter, depending on the barrel internal dimensions.
I would prefer to make bullets of approximately 400 grain weight. Bullet nose designs that are flat or round or spitzer would all be OK.
Even if your routine isn't for a HAAS, it could help me if I need to write my own code.
Please send code to my Yahoo account as an attachment.
RANisbet@Yahoo.Com

Thanks,
Bob Nisbet
Army Research & Technology Protection Center
Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898
Office: 256-876-1939
Cell: 256-797-4152

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I have access to a HAAS CNC lathe -----

Lucky boy Frowner

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you are looking for the solid, as unless someone has the same machine, the gcode won't work in all likelihood --

you can do your own, if access to solidworks (my personal fav, after i paid a fortune for it) d=.4745 for major -- should have the minor d be about .460, bands about .075 thick, and should be 3-5 of them, i prefer 4, a tiny one to crimp to, one right behind that, one .05 off the base, and one in the middle.

heel should be r.017 or so

nose shuold be 8deg, r.017

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38415 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would talk to Butch about mono-metal solids in one of his (or anybody's) Double Rifles. There is a lot of discussion about possible damage.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did speak to Butch. Noted that in a different thread.
Bottom line is that "no B Searcy rifle will have a problem shooting solids".

From some research I have done, I like the driving bands to be around .025 and the spaces between driving bands to be around .040.
I also prefer a 45 degree chamfer (.020) at the bullet base and a radius of .060 at the meplat.
If I get to work on these, I will do a basic design, then make one to see how close I am to the 400 gr weight. It would not be difficult to tweak the front end to increase or decrease the weight to get it to within one grain of my target weight.
If anyone would be interested in trading some 470 NE once fired brass for some of the bullets, let me know. (If interested, PM me. I would be willing to send the solid copper bullets for inspection and evaluation before asking for the brass to be shipped.)

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I have access to a HAAS CNC lathe and was hoping someone would have a CNC routing that I might use to make bullets from pure copper or machinable copper. The 470 NE bullets should be either a 0.474 diameter or a 0.475 diameter, depending on the barrel internal dimensions.
I would prefer to make bullets of approximately 400 grain weight. Bullet nose designs that are flat or round or spitzer would all be OK.
Even if your routine isn't for a HAAS, it could help me if I need to write my own code.
Please send code to my Yahoo account as an attachment.
RANisbet@Yahoo.Com

Thanks,
Bob Nisbet
Army Research & Technology Protection Center
Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898
Office: 256-876-1939
Cell: 256-797-4152
Bob,

I would recommend that you check out some of the NE bullets shown on page 94 of this thread:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...43/m/2861098911/p/94
They were cut by Sam Rose…if you PM him he may be willing to assist you.

P.S. For monometal bullets, it is recommended that you make the shank diameter 0.002" less than the bore diameter.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am taking all the advice I can get.
Still pondering design ideas.
Current proposed design of a 400 grain bullet is with 15 narrow driving bands that are twice as wide as the relief cuts. Would have a meplat of 0.312. Bullet base would be 45 degree chamfered to 0.020.
Am considering reducing the number of driving bands to 5 or 6.
Thoughts on the major and minor diameter is to make them an exact match to the barrel dimansions.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to hunt with it? I can try to design a few on my cad/cam software. If you are hunting larger animals I will create a supercavitating design for increased penetration. I would use c360 brass rod and keep temp consistent when machining around 70 degrees.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote