Notify
Tools

My own bullets...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collani
posted
@all

Since I had problems with some of the factory made bullets on African Plains Game I designed my own bullets.

The cartridge I'm using is the 10,3x60R (aka.450/400 2 3/8 BPE). The loaded cartridge looks like this picture:

This bullet can be used for the following cartridges:
.416 Remington Magnum
.416 Weatherby Magnum
.416 Rigby
.404 Jefferey
.500/416 NE
The bullets .413 in 270 Grains have a BC of 0.380 and looks like this picture:

The left bullet was covered from the ground after full penetration on a European roe deer.
The right bullet was covered from the ground after full penetration on a Europena roe buck. Both the bullets have a rest weight of more than 95%.
In the middle you can see an unfired bullet. Please see the driving bands before and after the shot!

Here a picture of my new bullet for the cartridge 9,3x62:

The bullets in .366 have a weight of 200 grains and have a BC of 0.360. This bullet can be used for the following cartridges:
9,3x62
9,3x64
9,3x66 SAKO
9,3x72R
9,3x74R

I’m fully satisfied with the performance of my bullets! More then 40 European animals have been taken with my own bullets...

Good shooting and good hunting

Collani

Gian Marchet Colani - the most famous mountain chamois hunter in the European Alps....

Posts: 118 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Your bullets look great Wink
It looks like you have lead i them please tell ?
I like your 10,3x60R whar gub is it for ?
Why is the hole in the fron of the bigger bullets so small ? I think that they would expand more if you made it a bit bigger. But then again why try to fix something that works nut
Post a picyure please Big Grin
I will test my bullets tomorrow Smiler And hope to get good results Eeker

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@André

In 2002 while an African hunt I had a bullet failure with a simple semi jacketed spitzer lead bullet.

This bullet was shot at an gemsbuck at 35 yards in the neck. The bullet went not thru the animal.

The new bullets are CNC-lathe turned. The hole for the 10,3x60R will be bigger after the first test results. The cartridge is generating the following impressive velocitiy and energy:

Rottweil R902
Powder Rottweil R902
Load 4.374 gram 67.5 grains
Measured pressure 2411 bar 34976 psi
Muzzle velocity 766 m/s 2515 fps
Muzzle Energy 5142 J 3793 ft.lbs
Velocity at 109 yards (100m) 693 m/s 2275 fps
Energy at 109 yards (100m) 4201J 3100 ft.lbs

In Switzerland it is not easy to get any bullets from the United States. Like Barnes, Swift, North Fork, etc. We have to use Norma, RWS, and other stuff. For the nearly unknown caliber 10,3x60R I tried .411 Swift A-Frame, .412 Woodleigh, .411 Hornady and .411 Barnes “X†but without satisfying results. The caliber 10,3x60R is .413 and is quite similar like .405 Winchester.

Collani

Gian Marchet Colani - the most famous mountain chamois hunter in the European Alps....

Posts: 118 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Collani

755 m/sec Smiler you should be very happy with that JA. Sehr gut.
You must have the perfect friction and diameter to get that velocity.

I will post some pictures tomorrow if I get the test done.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@André

Please post some pics of your results!

BTW: The measured muzzle velocity is approx 766m/s which means 2515 fps! I’m very happy with the results. I have measured the pressure and it didn’t went over 35’000 psi. The recoil is moderate.

One of the most spectacular bullet impact successes at a European red stag (cervus elaphus) is available by clicking the following links!

This red stag has been shot at 200 yards:
http://www.gian-marchet.ch/images/Hirsch-2004-10.jpg
The red stag has a weight of 280 lbs (140kg) and went down like a rock!

A pic of the entry of the bullet is available here: http://www.gian-marchet.ch/images/Geschosse/Hirsch-01.jpg

A pic of the exit of the bullet is available here:
http://www.gian-marchet.ch/images/Geschosse/Hirsch-03.jpg
No meat damage! The exit wound was approx. 35mm which means 1 1/3 inches…

Collani

one of us
posted Hide Post
collani

Very nicely turned bullet's...

Your .366 Diam bullet for the 9.3x63 is indeed
very nice looking....

I take it that it's your ..Go To.. Round for Kudo and alike .... I very much like your making it a semi rebaited boattail .. Big Grin

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@Martin

Here some more information about the cartridge 9,3x62: This cartridge was developed by the gunsmith Otto Bock from Berlin in the year 1905. The first available rifles were Mauser M98.

Bullet: Gian-Marchet OLE .366 13.0 gram or 200 grains
B.C. of 0.360
Cartridge OAL 83,7mm or 3,295 inches
Powder: Rottweil R902
Load 3,823 gram or 59.0 grains
Measured pressure 2967 bar or 43043 psi
Muzzle velocity 846m/s or 2775 fps
Muzzle Energy 4650 Joules or 3430 ft.lbs
Velocity at 109 yards (100m) 764m/s or 2510 fps
Energy at 109 yards (100m) 3799 Joules or 2803 ft.lbs
Loads at your own risk!

Collani

One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@all

The accuracy of the bullets is fantastic. I’m getting nice 5 shot groups at 109 yards (100m) which are SUB-MOA every time! Groups within 15mm or approx. 0.59 inches are possible!

This target shows a 5 shot-group at 109 yards. The black dot has a diameter of 31mm (1.22 inches) the Eurocent has a diameter of 16,2mm which means 0.64 inches. This group measures 20mm (0.79 inches) with one flyer. The target in the middle has the flyer. I shot those 5 shots within 3 minutes with the cartridge 10,3X60R!

Collani

one of us
posted Hide Post
collani

Very nice indeed ....

My .366 is a 9.3x64 B

I make and use my design of a 280 grain step boattail.........I use a 0.030 jacket wall

one of my design's is a 10 deg taper to a flat point the other is a P4 I have tried both in the boattail and thay both work very well..

Pottsy..

Your's are VERY nice for a turned bullet...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Are they made from copper?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@Lar45

Yes - they are from pure copper. The bullets are lathe turned with CNC machines...

Collani

One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@all

Additional information about the 10,3X60R cartridge and the bullets are available by clicking here...

Collani

One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@all

to bring this post up...

Collani