Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Oversized .50 cal bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I have an old .500 Nitro for Black Express double rifle that has a .518" groove diameter. It is in otherwise excellent condition and I would like to shoot. Where could I get some thin jacketed oversized bullets in the 400-500 grain range to fit the grooves without resorting to casting my own?

Cheers,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you may have to swage them youself
or settle with a custom bulletmould and make some hardcast alloy bullets...sorry no golden route on this one.... Frowner

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jens,

I think that I'll just go ahead and do both. I'll have a bump-up die made and order a custom bullet mold for this job.

Cheers,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a possible option would to get some .510 inch diameter cast lead bullets and paper patch them for the increased diameter. I have a .50-140 Sharps made from a non-standard diameter .50BMG barrel. It has a groove diameter of .507 inch. I hammer swage .494-inch diameter pure lead bullets and paper patch them. Three wraps of 16-pound paper gets the diameter to .511 (four thousands over)and accuracy is OK. Two wraps of 16-pound paper would increase standard .510-inch bullets to about .521 (three thousands over). Greybeards outdoor forum has a paper patched bullet chatroom with some answers on where to get proper paper.