New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Anyone trying out an unusual design?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the "Building Bullets for the Real World" thread, Pecos45 mentioned moon rocket shapes, which suggests that people might have weird ideas in bullet design.

Is anyone trying something that they hope will be the next best thing since sliced bread and pay toilets? You know, a quadrupal jacketed, three core, serrated, elipical chummy that features a dual expanding head?

Or, are you just boring like me, and putting together proven performers?

Safe Shooting! [Big Grin]
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is our latest controlled expanding. Basically it is a combination on a number of concepts that work and the elimination of some problems with monometal bullets. This is a 300 gr .375 cal bullet.

John
Bridger Bullets

-

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fritz, that looks like a Moon Rocket to me. [Smile] No, seriously.....I have no dog in this fight and don't mean to criticize any bullet. All my creations were down right ugly looking but they did some really wild things in the field hunting.

My message here for one and all is let's think "outside the box." There's nothing wrong with moon rocket bullet shapes per say. Every design has advantages and disadvantages.

OUR QUEST is to dream up bullets that can perform like we want in our shooting environment. There is NO perfect bullet shape fits all.

Be creative. That's my message. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sweden company make one in solid alloy ( copper alloy ) but with a funny reverse ogive

if you not want very hight BC wich is not really usefull for 99% of hunting shots ( below 250 yards and even closer to 100 yards ) .
Old design as spitzer or even round tip work fine and specialy work fine to kill quick and clean the game .

An animal is not a BR target and since the beginning of 20 century most famous hunter have never use and perhaps never shoot a BR rifle as hunting rifle , 1.5 inches on 5 shots at 100 yards is good enought for most hunting conditions IF this 1.5 accuracy is real field accuracy and not a range accuracy , during hunting that difficult to choose outside temperature or rainy or sunny day

Note two diameter bullet of the original Winchster 264 WIN bullet look nice

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dear Pecos 45

your mail doesn t work

regards

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I had thought about using some of the ideas from the cast bullet world over to the jacketed bullet world, leaving the lube behind.
It's been done before, I'm sure but a long, round nosed or a truncated cone with pararelle sided bore riding front to a short base section filling the grooves.
I'm guesing that the bullet would be specific to my rifle since the bore and depth of grooves are unique to each rifle.
Here's the idea. 180 to 200 grain .308 bullet.
.400 length .308 diameter base with the remainding length being what ever the bore diameter .300......301????
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Another idea was to use .22 caliber gas check to close the nose of the bullet, like the Winchester silver tip except the nose would be flat, .22.
The jacket would hold the gas check in place.
The idea is to have a bullet that reacts like the soft point, or hollow point with out the lead tip or hollow point getting damaged from handling or recoil. Of coure it may act just like a solid.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A typical FMJ bullet loaded backwards would be something like a huge hollow point with a flat nose. Probably wouldn't do too well in core retention but might be just the thing if you want an "explosive" bullet. When fired normally they do tend to tumble sideways and then travel backwards in tissue and often do mushroom or fragment at that point, but they've already slowed down quite a bit after penetrating a good way nose first.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dantec:
dear Pecos 45

your mail doesn t work

regards

DAN TEC

Dantec, are you saying my Pecos45@hotmail.com doesn't work? [Eek!] [Eek!] I get mail there every day, sir. (Got 8 this morning!)

Please try again and let me know and I'll check into a few things. That IS where I get my email. [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
How is this for a moon rocket?
 -

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what is that c c ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the old Herter's "Wasp Waist" bullet. I never shot one or even saw one, frankly. But I always wondered how the case held the bullet in place. Nothing really to crip to etc?

Apparently it was more gimmick than bullet. Herters is no more. They were a crazy company and occassionally actually marketed a good product. I think they were sort of a forerunner of Caballas...although no connection. And Caballas is generally more reliable and markets better stuff, IMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
copper country

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
copper country That is a Herter's wasp or else a copy of it. My dad bought a box of em must have been early 60's, 30 cal 130 or 150 grain. Shot one into a wet dirt bank bullet didn't do anythink like it should have kind of flatened out twisted the nose to the side. Neighbor, who shot a .270 gave me a really bad time bout our 06's under powered etc etc. Don't remember even loading or shooting the rest of box up. You'r right Herter had some good things and then the rest of the stuff, although I still wish I had gotten into bullet making with their equipment for making pistol bullets. on well k2

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K2 - If you are talking about making the half jacketed pistol bullets, don't be to sorry you didn't get into it.

I was real excited by the idea of half jacketed pistol bullets at first and bought a few boxes of various weights to try. I never got very good accuracy with any of them for some reason. I could cast bullets that shot circles around them and generally gave better performance in varmits.

I think it's no accident the "half jacket fad" is about over. So if that's what you are lamenting, cheer up! You just saved some money. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the picture is a "Herter's Wasp Wasted Sonic Bullet". With the usual Herter Catalog modesty it was "made of the worlds finest procurable materials and was of the worlds most advanced ballistic design". I dug out my old catalog and it is fun to read. Always wondered who made these for Herter. Can't imagine they sold millions so it could have been some guy in his basement, but then it could have been one of the bullet companies too. Anyone know who made them for Herters? I imagine some sort of collet was used to squeeze the waste into a regular bullet but it could have been a split die too. Anyone know?

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copper, as I said, I don't think I ever even saw one of these bullets in the flesh. But I did get to wondering how they were made. I strongly suspect it was nothing but a different tool for putting the normal canalure on a bullet...except Herters took the little serrations out of the tool so it just rolled the "wasp waist." That's my guess. [Smile]