New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lots of questions, very few answers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to obtain good rifle bullets in .379 diameter but the Barnes .377 X is about as close as I can get. I want to swage existing .375 bullets by Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and others to .379. I would like to do this with a RCBS Rockchucker press if it is possible.

Now for the "lots of questions". Is this possible? If I buy the dies and run a .375 Hornady 225 gr. spire point bullet through the die, will a great deal of the lead squirt out of the bullet before I even start to reshape the jacket body? How will this perform if I resize a Nosler Partition or a Hornady SST?

I would like to use some bullets of different weights in this cartridge; can a swaging die resize different weights or is the die created to make a specific weight bullet. If I wish to reshape the .375 Sierra 250 gr Gameking (boat tail spitzer) can I use the same resizing die.

From what I have read, the bump from .375 to .379 may be possible. What will happen if I start with .366 or .323 bullets. To do this, will I need to use sucessively larger dies (meaning purchase of multiple die sets) for each bump?

If I do this, will I have good, reliable bullets that will shoot straight and open reliably? Will I be just as well served to buy the whole setup and make .379 bullets from scratch? I won't shoot over 50 each year.

Is there anyone out there that makes bullets with a good ballistic profile in this diameter? I've looked at Hawk; they only make flat points for the 38-55.

Any help is appreciated.

Duckhunter

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.ch4d.com
talk to dave

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). Dave Corbins has a list of bullet makers on his web site(s), corbins.com, bulletswage.com, etc. They will make you anything your pocket book can stand. [They use Corbin products in their production. Surprise...] Mr. Corbin also has several books posted on his site for your review, download, etc. covering topics like this.
#2). I suspect the Rockchucker press might be a trifle lame for this work. Corbin and others have larger/more powerful presses.
#3). Possible? Anything is possible, almost, with enough $$$.
#4). You ask about squirting lead enlarging a .375 bullet... NO, if you force the sides out, more likely, you will find the lead forming a depression. And you will reform the nose after the shape of the die doing the reforming... Like hitting it with a hammer. .366 or .323? More deformity with the pressure to expand the sides. You can control this but that is difficult.
#5). 50 a year??? I would hit the bullet makers... they might want $1.00 a bullet (or more) but beats the investment to make jacketed bullets in this odd size. Dies and press could start at $600.00. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I would rather get this done than do it myself; I just don't shoot enough to justify the cost. I'll get in touch with the custom bullet makers.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote