New
Find
Notify
Tools

Core bonding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How are core bonded bullets made? I have seen a solution sold by corbin. Could you heat the bullet on a hot plate and solder the core to the jacket.This technique seems to be more prevalent in the game bullets rather than match.

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
core bondes is made by "cooking the bullet in a oven , bullet are fit in ceramic tray look as ammo box in ceramic ( check Corbin website for picture of ceramic block )
they put a special compoung between lead core and jacket to allow soldering

cooked bullet are not accurate as regular swage bullet and keep the core in th ejacket is not really a must or a need for paper punching

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Core bonding is easier than one may think. Simply place a drop or two of liquid solder flux, available at your local hardware store, in your jacket then place your cores in so not to splash the flux out, then heat with a propane torch until cores melt. If done properly the cores will be slightly indented in the middle. Place the bullets in a L shape on fire brick or be creative and use tin foil and make a tray for heating. Allow to cool and seat your cores as you normally would, clean them and then point form your bullets. I have found mine to ever bit as accurate as any store bought bullet. Give them a try in the appropiate amount of wet newspaper at 100 yards. You'll like what you see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS, Can you core bond a factory hollow point like a matchking to turn it into a hunting bullet. I like their BC's but they tend to shed the core in the 6mm caliber.

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Factory bullets are already made, therefore it is impossible to bond them. You can however, bond your own hollow point bullets. Keeping bullets together when fired is a large problem and bonding them is one solution in solving this problem. Food for thought, lead melts at approximately 700 degrees, now take a 3006 bullet fired at 100 yards, traveling at 2800 feet per second. Imagine the amount of friction, now, imagine what a big lead tip would look like after it has traveled the distance. Bullet making is fun, testing is more fun and the are many people out their with a vast amount of knowledge just waiting to share with persons who have this same interest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of .30-06 bullets have been photographed in flight after travelling that 100 yards. The lead tips don't melt from aerodynamic heating.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bullets in flight meet with friction. Friction causes heat and heat causes melting. The more pure (softer)the core the sooner melting begins and so on. If you have seen these in flight photographs (film) then you know what happens. If you should have questions contact Dave at CH4D tool and die or contact the US army engineers at the armament lab, Sandia National Laboratories, Northup, DuPont or any defence related agency with the question. I meant only to stir thought, not animosity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of airplanes travel at the speed of a .30-06 bullets, and they sure don't reach the melting teperature of lead....

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hud, you'll get no animosity from me! But the pictures I've seen show no melting in flight. I wonder if your friend's talking about accelerational "slugging up" producing a bit of change in tip profile or some such? If the lead were actually melting it'd sling right off from centrifugal force.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, as any bullet caster knows, the purer the lead the higher its melting point. Adding alloying elements like antimony and tin lowers the melting point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NotRicochet:
Also, as any bullet caster knows, the purer the lead the higher its melting point. Adding alloying elements like antimony and tin lowers the melting point.

A good example of how ilustrative these forums may be.

I always, always thought it was the other way round. Always thought that if you added tin to lead, you needed more temperature to melt the new alloy.

Thank you, NotRicochet.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, montero.

Think of solder, which is usually a tin/lead alloy. (Lots more tin in it than is used in bullets, typically 60% tin, 40% lead.) Melts at a lot lower temperature than either pure lead or tin. The lowest melting point, called the "eutectic point," is somewhere close to 63% tin and 47% lead. You can buy "eutectic solder" of that composition.

When you start throwing in other alloy metals like antimony, arsenic, and the various "impurity" trace metals that are found in lead, it gets pretty hard to define melting points and the metallurgists come up with complex "phase diagrams" to show what's melted and what's still solid at various temperatures. Bullet casters just throw it all in the pot and turn up the heat till it's liquid enough for good casting.
[Big Grin]