Find
Notify
Tools

lathe-turned bullets...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello...
If a piece of solid copper rod (cut to proper length) is turned to the outside diameter and shape of a chosen bullet design, and is hollowed out, can solder/flux be melted inside and thus creating a bullet, without having to swage it?
Assuming the rod/wire material is hard enough to be turned without faults, will heating it to melt the solder be enough to anneal it?
I tend to think any diameter/shape can be done by turning, and figure the hollowing can be done by drilling.
To me it seems possible, but I actually don't know. Thank you. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hello...
If a piece of solid copper rod (cut to proper length) is turned to the outside diameter and shape of a chosen bullet design, and is hollowed out, can solder/flux be melted inside and thus creating a bullet, without having to swage it?
Assuming the rod/wire material is hard enough to be turned without faults, will heating it to melt the solder be enough to anneal it?
I tend to think any diameter/shape can be done by turning, and figure the hollowing can be done by drilling.
To me it seems possible, but I actually don't know. Thank you. ~~~Suluuq

Hey guy

I don't know about the rest of the guy's and gal's

but i get my stock in the right diamator to start with.
and as far as hollowing it out ? you trying to make a jacket or a hollow pointed bullet?

I have turned a few rod stock's in my time for use as jacket's just go and order the rod stock to match the diam of the bullet's.
The just chuck the the blank into the head stock
and chuck a drill bit into the tail stock.
for somthing fun you might try and under drill your hole
and once its been drilled and is still in the head stock
thread it and please... all you do is buy flux and some ear swab's and swab the inside of the jacket with flux and put a pre weighted chuck of lead in to it and melt it down.
The heat from melting the lead will anneal the jacket
kinda but with out a swage your going to whined up with a really flat nosed bullet becouse of the lead

==============
You might be better off just taking the rod stock and turning a good nose on the end and leave it at that you still can put a little hollow point in the end.

Quote:

yes

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote