New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of Bullets these days
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
the cost of premium hunting bullets seems to be going through the roof lately. In some cases over a buck a bullet.

I am just curious. Is anybody here making their own premium hunting bullets? If so, what are you making and how are you making them. I am talking about bullets like the nosler partition or the Northfork or the swift A frame, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am making my own bullets out of a j-4 jacket in the 50 or 52 gr 22 cal FBHP.. Also I just started making a 168 gr and trying a 178 gr in HPBT Long range bullet in a 30 Cal bullet..

http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classified...=520&query=retrieval

Posts: 43 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 27 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The reason for the increase in jacketed bullets is a four-fold (at least) increase in the price of copper. With the world's markets going into free-fall, maybe the price will come down but, unless we quit buying them, the price of bullets will remain high.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i make .224 dia 80 gr bullets plus .510 and .700 bullets

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm making a truncated cone softpoint and solid in .458" caliber.

I plan to get swaging dies for .375" and .416" by year's end.

Oh yeah, and more Walnut Hill presses for them.

How cool would it be to take my next buffalo with my own bullets...? Yeah!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make a 41 caliber 250gr Flat point and will soon be making a hollow point as well.
I'm using CH dies on a Rockchucker press.
The flat point bullets shoot great and penetrate 36 inches in water from a 41 mag pistol.
Don't know if you can really call them premium but I sure think they are, especially since no one really sells that weight bullet in a 41.

Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I cast my own for the cost of 2tenth a penny before gas check. After adding the check, we are looking at 3pennys....
I be leave I posted on total cost for everyone to compare.
Myself am saving to buy swaging equipment. Its going to run me about 600 to 700bucks to get started. After one year or less of use will pay its self off for me.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote