New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet jackets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Altho my bullet making experience is very limited, I'd like to know what jackets you bullet makers use. I'm familier with J-4 jackets and Sierra jackets. Are there other jacket makers out there? Thanks

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Butch hairfields jackets

harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com

Butch can make up to a two inch diameter jacket

A quote from butch hairfield

quote:
for what it is worth guys the jackets i make are almost straight walled vary little taper if any. what this means is when you swage the bullet and start rolling the copper into the nose of the bullet it thickens so if you start out with say a .020 wall jacket the part in the vary tip of the nose will be about .030 or thicker.
i make jackets in .020/.030/.040/.050/.065/.085 wall thickness in most calibers. so this gives you all plenty to play with and if that is not enough in some cases i can also do it in c220 which is really tough for the heaver walls. i had one of my customers get back with me after he made up some 458 in a .085 wall rn fmj c220 and had shot a cape bufflo with it and said it held up as good as a solid.

most of my customers like the .030 and .040 wall jackets for bear and the like so you all pick it. john dorty has been using them on some of his hunts and he can tell you all better than i how the differant thickness perform

butch