Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet swaging!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi !

Can bulletswaging be done on a RCBS Rockchuker or a Forster CO-AX!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about the co-ax press but you certainly can swage bullets on the Rockchucker. I have a 41 mag set of dies from CH Tool and Die made for a strong reloading press. I also have a 22 rimfire swaging set from Sport Flight Mfg. that is made for either a Rockchucker or for a Lyman Orange crusher press. The Sport Flight set works very well and even has automatic ejection by changing out the ram on the Rockchucker or the Orange Crusher presses.
Good luck.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do I concact the sport flight co? thanks. Jerry Willis

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can find the address tonight. I ran across the instructions last week and I know where they are.
Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Hi !

CH4D

In the Products section check under bullet
there you will find the swage dies for use with a rockchucker type press

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
You guys don't know me,,,,but,,,,,

This C-H that Martin speaks of is the place to start.

I cannot express the fun factor here.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, and at times it doesn't, about 3 years go I called the ' Sport Flight' company. I learned that he owner had just died, and his wife said the business died with him. I've thought about that a lot as just about everyone of the various swage company principals are one deep: if the owner gets laid up, or passes on, that's the end of the line! Scarry!!

Posts: 10 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about the gentleman from Sport Flight passing away. I have a set of his dies and they are very nice. The set makes very accurate bullets from rimfire cases and is a pleasure to use.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinPotts:
quote:
Hi !

CH4D

In the Products section check under bullet
there you will find the swage dies for use with a rockchucker type press

Thanks! I have now some orders going that way!

one of us
posted Hide Post
jens poulsen

This is my little set up and its not all that much

My smaller Hydrolic swage press..Multi swage.

My biggest hydrolic swage press.. Hydra Swage..

This is a shot from the top of it ..

It should be noted that this is the new vertion of the Hydra Swage .. it's weight is now 450 Lb

And its running on a 3 phase 440 volt
2 hp motor the hydrolics are bigger by far now and it will put out about 9,800,000 Lbs of pressure ..

I know it's not much but i can do about anything with the Hydra Swage as far as bullets go.
Everthing from swaging soild rod stock into bullet up to and passed making 20 MM bullets

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Martin!

Thanks... I am impressed Eeker!.I know one day I`ll get in to bulletswaging, but your place goes beyong comprehention eek2!. I guess the hydralic presses are the strongest that can form a solid copper rod into bullets?. To make a complete setup for a specific bullet let say a .333 jeffery 300 grain roundnose and hollowpoint, how much moneywise should I count on, on investing in bulletswage equipment?. I was thinking like a manual press, dies... and so on!.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Martin!

Thanks... I am impressed Eeker!.I know one day I`ll get in to bulletswaging, but your place goes beyong comprehention eek2!. I guess the hydralic presses are the strongest that can form a solid copper rod into bullets?. To make a complete setup for a specific bullet let say a .333 jeffery 300 grain roundnose and hollowpoint, how much moneywise should I count on, on investing in bulletswage equipment?. I was thinking like a manual press, dies... and so on!.

Thanks

Go a WallNut Hill's Press

Its like the two small press's i have
Thay can swage bullets up to .510 with no trouble at all.

Walnut Hill Press (includes the punch holder) $270.00 (30lbs)
Extra Punch Holder $35.00 (1lb)
Shellholder Adapter $40.00
Riser Stand (Raises the press to a more convenient height) $45.00 (10lbs)
Quick Adjust Punch Holder (special holder for jacket making) $55.00 (8lbs)
5/8"-24 Adapter Set $45.00 (1.5lbs

What you need to start off is ..
One press ...Wallnut hills

one set of swage dies->your design.

One roll of lead wire

Swage lube --Oil and lanolin mixed--

Jackets-- contact Butch .
harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com

And a good set of scales to weigh jackets and lead on ... RCBS 10/10 will do to start you out
I use a dillon dig/ read out that goes to 1500 grain.
You won't need that much for bullets in a 333

So your looking at about

270.00-> US funds ..Press cost
+
Swage die set -->about 380.00 US funds
+ extras
of about 100.00 more in US funds
750.00 US funds

Just keep you eyes on Richard Corbins web site in the
Supply listings

RCE Co

Surplus and In Stock

Every once in a while he has a few extra swage die set that go for less money...

Walnut Hill Type WH These dies have a 1.0" body with a 7/8"-14 thread.

.441 Two Die Set The set includes a .430" core swage die and the .441" point form die. The bullet is a round nose, cup base intended to be paper patched and used in Whitworth replica rifles. The core form die can be used, by adding a nose punch, to make lead bullets for the .44 magnum or other .44 caliber guns. $175.00

.442 Lead Bullet Die This die makes a bullet that has a small step where the bullet nose and bearing meet. The die forms the bullet and bleeds off excess lead in one step. The bullet has a cup base and a 1 1/8 caliber long round nose. The die should be used with pure lead or slightly hardened lead alloy. $75.00

.445 Lead Bullet Die The bullet has a small step where the ogive and bearing meet, has a cup base and a 1 1/8 caliber long round nose. Forms the bullet and bleeds off excess weight in one step. This die should be used with pure lead or slightly hardened lead alloy. $75.00

.498 Lead Bullet Die This die forms the bullet and bleeds off excess weight in one step. The bullet has a small shoulder where the ogive and bearing meet. The bullet has a one caliber long round nose and a cup base. Suitable for paper patching for use in the 50 BMG or 50 caliber blackpowder cartridge rifles. $75.00

.257 Four Die Set The set includes the core swage die, core seat die, a 6S point form die, and a lead tip reform die. The tip reform die can also be used to close the opening in the bullet point a little more. The set is made to use with J4 jackets. $425.00

.452 Lead Bullet Die A single die that makes a lead bullet with a flat base for use with a copper base washer. The bullet nose is a 3/4 caliber long round nose. Use with pure lead or slightly hardened alloy. $95.00

.357 Three Die Set Core swage, core seat and point form dies. This set has a truncated conical ogive, simply called a TC ogive. The ogive is a 15 degree with a wide, flat meplat. It should be a good bullet for autoloaders or revolvers especially for lighter weight bullets. $350.00

.444 Combination Die This die bleeds off excess lead through a hole in the side of the die to control the bullet weight and, at the same time, forms the bullet. The bullet has a traditonal cup base with a blunt round nose ogive. There is no step where the ogive and bearing meet. The bullet was designed for Whitworth rifles but could be paper patched for use in .45 caliber cartridge guns. $140.00

.323 Three Die Set The set includes a core swage, core seating die, and a point form die. The ogive is a 3.5S and is suitable for light to medium weight bullets in 8mm caliber. Also included is base turning punch so that FMJ bullets can be made. $350.00

.458 Three Die Set Includes the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. The point form die makes a round nose, flat tip bullet that is designed for use in tubular magazine rifles but will work well in other rifles. The dies are set to use a .030" thick jacket but thinner jackets could be used if an extra seating punch is purchased. $350.00

.358 Three Die Set This set includes the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. The set makes a .358 diameter round nose bullet that is especially suitable for use in lever action rifles and will work in other rifles as well. $350.00

.270 Set This is a standard three die set including the core form, core seat, and point form dies. The ogive is a 7S. Flat base, open tip bullets or flush tip bullets can be made. Bullet diameter is .277". $350.00

.17 Long Range Set Included in the set are the core swage, core seat, point form, and tip closing dies. The ogive is a VLD type best used with medium to heavy weight bullets. The set makes a flat base, open tip or a lead tip bullet. The lead tip die can also be used to close the tip opening of the bullet a little more. The set is intended to be used with J4 jackets. $425.00

.375 Die Set A five die set that includes the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. Also included are a lead tip die, and a dual diameter sizer die. The bullet is a flat base with a 1/2S ogive. Open tip, flush tip, or lead tip bullets can be made as well as FMJ type solids. The dual diameter sizer is used to reduce the front part of the bullet so that it is bore diameter. The length of the reduced area is adjustable. The dual diameter feature lets the bullet be seated out further in the cartridge case and not stick in the rifling. .030" thick jackets are used but .050" thick jackets could be used if another core swage and seating punch are purchased. $549.00

.308 Long Range Set Core swage, core seat, and point form dies. This set makes a VLD target type bullet that is an open tip, flat base. Use J4 jackets. $350.00

7mm Set A three die set that makes a flat base, open tip bullet in .284 diameter. Use J4 jackets. Good long range or hunting bullet. $350.00

HydraSwage Dies, Type HS These dies have a 1.5/8" body with a 1.5"-12 thread

9mm (.355") Three Die Set This set makes a flat base open tip or hollow point bullet with an 11 degree truncated conical ogive. It would be useful in autoloaders as well as revolvers. The bullet is designed for medium to heavier weight bullets as the ogive will be a little long for light weight slugs. Use jackets from Star Ammunition or .020" thick jackets from Butch Hairfield. $300.00

12 Ga. Slug Set A single die that makes a .729" diameter slug. Each press stroke turns out a semi-wadcutter, hollow base slug ready to use. The die will bleed off excess lead to control the slug weight. $100.00

20 Gauge Slug Die An undersized slug for use in a 20 gauge shotcup. Makes a poor man's sabot. The best shotcup for this is the Trapmaster sold by BPI, Ballistic Products, Inc. The slug is an Improved Foster which is a semi-wadcutter, hollow base design and is a .500" diameter. Slugs in shotcups work well in smoothbore, open choke guns but shouldn't be used in rifled guns. $100.00

12 Ga. Improved Foster Slug A hollow base, semi-wadcutter design that can be used in 16 gauge without a shotcup or can be used in a shotcup in 12 gauge. Each press stroke makes a finished slug of the correct weight, ready to load. $100.00

12 Ga. Slug Set An Improved Foster slug; hollow base, semi-wadcutter. The diameter of the slug is .660" and is a perfect fit to the BPI Trapmaster shotcup. This combination is hard to beat and gives improved accuracy to a smoothbore gun. It should not be used in rifled guns. $100.00

12 Ga. Slug Set A true Foster type of slug. One die forms the core and the point form die makes a hollow base slug with a 1/2S ogive. This set includes a cross punch that forms a cruciform shape in the lead core. When the slug is finished the seperation lines are barely visible but the slug will break into four pieces on impact. This helps to reduce the danger of "shoot through" in police work and gives better performance on light game. Standard "solid" slugs can also be made. $200.00

12 Ga. Slug Set This is an odd experimental set that makes a shuttle cock type of slug. The ogive is a 1/2S flat tip and the slug has a hollow base. The middle of the slug is squeezed in so that the slug looks like an air rifle pellet or a badmitton birdie. In theory air flow against the tapered base of the slug will tip the slug back into a straight path so as to reduce drop and wind drift. Perhaps it works, perhaps not. Use this .660" diameter slug in the BPI Trapmanster shotcup. There are three dies in the set. $200.00

9.3mm Die Set This is a comprehensive die set that makes a flat base, dual diameter bullet with a 1/2S ogive. The bullet diameter is .366". Use either .030" or .050" thick jackets. With this set you can make open tip, flush tip, or lead tip bullets in either a standard configuration or in a bore riding style. The bore riding style is very useful in that the bullet can be seated far out of the case without sticking in the rifling. The length of the bore riding section of the bullet can be adjusted as wanted. FMJ type solids can also be made. $650.00

.375 Die Set Another rather complete die set. Makes a .375 caliber bullet in either a bore riding or conventional style. Makes open points, flush points, or lead tip bullets. FMJ solids as well. Use .030" or .050" thick jackets. $650.00

Type S Dies These dies have a 1.0" body with a 5/8"-24 thread.

.308 Three Die Set Core swage, core seat, and point form dies. The ogive is a 15-.020" VLD but the point form die has a .105 ejection pin. This makes this bullet better for long range shots with dependable expansion on game. Medium to heavy bullet weights are best. $350.00

.284 Four Die Set Makes a flat base bullet with an 8 caliber spitzer ogive (8S). Good for hunting or target work. J4 jackets. The set includes the core swage, core seat, point form, and lead tip dies. $425.00

.308 Four Die Set Core swage, core seat, point form, and lead tip dies. This set makes a long range hunting bullet that should expand well at lower impact velocities. The set uses a larger than normal ejection pin, .120", so that effective soft points can be made. The ogive is an eight caliber spitzer. Use J4 jackets or thicker copper jackets. $425.00

.355 Three Die Set A 9mm set including the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. The ogive is a 1 caliber round nose sometimes called a 1E. The ejection pin is larger than usual being .187" in diameter which shortens the ogive a little. This makes a nice meplat on the bullet and improves terminal ballistics. $350.00

.308 Point Form Die A point form die, no core swage or core seat, that makes a flat base VLD type of bullet. Good for long range shooting although the VLD bullets can be a bit finicky regarding loads. Add to an existing set or purchase the other dies to make a complete set. $150.00

.355 3 die set A 9mm set suitable for single shot handguns or 9mm rifles. Makes a flat base, open tip bullet with a 2.5S spitzer ogive. Use .020" or .030" thick jackets. $350.00

.357 Lead Bullet Die A single die that makes a semi-wadcutter type of bullet. A finished bullet ready to use with each press stroke. Makes a flat base, Keith type of bullet. $0.00

9mm Three Die Set Core swage, core seat, and point form dies. Makes a flat base, truncated conical bullet. This bullet should feed well in most autoloaders and with a wide meplat should be an effective slug. $350.00

.375 Four Die Set Includes the tip reform die and makes open tip or soft point bullets. The bullets are flat base and have a 4S spitzer ogive. A ballistically improved bullet compared to the more common round nose slug. Use .030" thick jackets. $400.00

Type H Dies These dies have a 1.5" body with a 1.0"-12 thread.

.264 Four Die Set This is a target/hunting set that makes a flat base, open tip or soft point bullet. Included are the core swage, core seat, point form, and lead tip dies. Use J4 jackets for target bullets or Butch Hairfield's thicker jackets for hunting bullets. $475.00

.355 3 die set This set makes a spitzer bullet with a 2.5S ogive. The set will make either all lead bullets or jacketed bullets that can be used in sabots for muzzleloaders or in pistol or rifle cartridge guns. Included are the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. A .020" thick jacket is used for the jacketed bullets. $400.00

.452 Set A three die set including the core swage, core seat, and point form dies. Makes lead bullets or jacketed bullets for use in muzzleloading sabots or for use in cartridge guns. The ogive is a blunt 2S spitzer. $400.00

12 Ga. Slug Set A full diameter shotgun slug die set. Includes a core form die and a point form die. The slug is similar to a true hollow base Foster slug. Slug diameter is .729" and the ogive is roughly a 1/2S. $300.00

20 Gauge Slug Set A full diameter slug set that makes a .615" diameter hollow base Foster type slug. The ogive is about a 1/2S. Included are the core swage and point form dies. Full diameter slugs give much better accuracy than the grossly undersized factory slugs. The slug can be used on top of a brush wad instead of a standard shotcup and lightly lubricating the slug will improve accuracy. A roll crimp will usually give the most consistant results but a fold crimp can be used. $300.00

20 Gauge Slug Die A single lead bullet die that makes an Improved Foster type of slug. Excess lead is bled off while the slug is formed so that each stroke of the press makes a slug ready to use. The improved Foster is a hollow base slug with a blunt semi-wadcutter type of ogive. This is a nearly full diameter slug measuring .610". $100.00

Pm me i might be able to help you out ya never know

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`ll run you a pm later here today !

Thanks

Pm Has been sent!