Find
Notify
Tools

WTB-pure lead
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I want to cast some pure led bullets to paper patch and shoot in my muzzle loader. I need pure lead to be soft enough to size through my size die and not tear off the paper jacket.

Where can I obtain some pure lead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps post this question on the Cast Bullets forum on Accuratereloading?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the process but as I understand it, you put the paper patch on AFTER sizing the bullet and then after the patch has dried (if you use some kind of damping of the paper), then you seat it in case.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Cast, size, patch, lube is what I was told. I know that's how it's done with metallic cartridges.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, to answer your question, rotometals will sell and send free all the lead you can use as long as you buy their minimum free shipping amount, which is currently roughly 60 pounds of 99.9% pig lead. They are selling a 55 pound ingot for $80, requires $99 purchase for free shipping.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In the past, I've gone to junk or auto salvage yards and they have been happy to give me old auto batteries. The plates are very soft lead, but I don't know if it is "pure" or not.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some ingots I cast from old cable sheathing. Very soft, but I cant tell you if it is pure lead or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Perhaps post this question on the Cast Bullets forum on Accuratereloading?

Yep...I see I messed up now. Thank you!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Cast, size, patch, lube is what I was told. I know that's how it's done with metallic cartridges.

I am no expert for sure...in fact...I am just attempting. But I am trying to follow Idaho Ron's (from here on AR) method and he resizes the bullet with the patch on for muzzle-loader use. And some people do for cartridges as well. Here is his video on his method.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane: I've bought "plumbers lead", which is supposed to be almost pure, from Gold Metal Recyclers on S Lamar in Dallas.n There is a Gold Metals location in Gainesvill on FM 371 (I think), maybe you can get it there as well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

I am no expert for sure...in fact...I am just attempting. But I am trying to follow Idaho Ron's (from here on AR) method and he resizes the bullet with the patch on for muzzle-loader use. And some people do for cartridges as well. Here is his video on his method.

I use the same bullet for two ML rifles and size for both before and after patching using Lee dies.
The paper is surprisingly durable.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Lane: I've bought "plumbers lead", which is supposed to be almost pure, from Gold Metal Recyclers on S Lamar in Dallas.n There is a Gold Metals location in Gainesvill on FM 371 (I think), maybe you can get it there as well.

Thank you Karl! I will check on that. I drive by there everyday.

'theback40' sent me some ingots that I think will be just right!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
It shows up over at Cast Boolits in the Sell and Swap section fairly often.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.americanreloading....6-shotgun-components

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Tire shops

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Tire shops

Can pretty much guarantee you won't be finding any pure lead in a tire shop

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Didnt know they weren't pure lead, one close to me has buckets of weights laying about

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snag 'em if you can! Wheel weights are great for most cast bullet applications, other than those calling for pure lead. Wheel weights are pretty much an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
except the new ones. Many have zinc in them now.

I ran into a problem last fall. The company that supplies the local tire shops is now requiring the shops to turn at least 90% of the old ones when they order new. EPA at work, I suspect.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
except the new ones. Many have zinc in them now.

I ran into a problem last fall. The company that supplies the local tire shops is now requiring the shops to turn at least 90% of the old ones when they order new. EPA at work, I suspect.

Rich

My guess is that is really just a way for the supplier to replenish their raw materials cheaply and the tire co. gets the old weights taken away by the same guy delivering.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered pure and some aloys from rotometals.
I noticed that the best bet for pure clean lead at any scrap yard or recycler is stained glass window leading. The lead flashing and pipes I have been using have a lot of contaminants in them and unless you have a pretty big pot, it is a lot of work getting the lead clean and you still don't know what you truly have.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Tire shops

Can pretty much guarantee you won't be finding any pure lead in a tire shop

I guess they are gone now, but I always thought the stick-on weights that were in vogue when alloy wheels first came out were pure lead. They aren't? And I am not being sarcastic; I sincerely don't know...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were, but have been "phasing out" for quite a while now. I think (?) they're mostly a zinc alloy or coated steel now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go. but Shipping will probably cost $$$
http://panamacity.craigslist.org/spo/5421756859.html

I use this all the time: http://www.searchtempest.com/

I remembered I have dive weights but I use them when I do double hose vintage diving.
That's how I found mine

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good friend went to a ship yard bought a old beat up broken day sailer for parts, found 200+lbs of lead in the keel that he sold for scrap.
Just thinkin

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen several old sailboats sitting around with for sale signs on them. The issue is, I don't know how you would get one moved, and then, how to cut up a solid block of lead that might weigh several thousand pounds...!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of lead will be available in Flint, Mi. I just heard on the news today that they're starting to replace the first of 8000 home lead line water connections today for a projected cost of $50 Million or something over $6000 per connection. Our government at work.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Be careful of old car batteries. Anything newer than say around 1980, will contain Cadmium which is pretty toxic stuff.

and Wheel weights, many of the new ones contain Zinc. I didn't know this and ruined a batch of lead with some zinc wheel weights.

Sometimes scrounging just isn't worth the hassle.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

I've used plumbers lead for many years for muzzle loaders both for round ball, and paper patched bullets in old black powder cartridge rifles. Plumbers lead is about as close to pure lead as you will find!

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, those old batteries may have some arsenic in them. I always csst with the garage door open when I'm not sure about lineage.

I have cast and paper patched probably 6-7000 .40 and .45 caliber projectiles. I always rolled on a little marble slab after soaking the patch in water and squeezing off the excess. I always cut patch to length of projectile. No tail and just a little fold over which shrinks to the bullet. Patch will adhere just fine.

On my false muzzle Ballard #6 cross-patch rifle I load a slightly undersize 38-55 projectile with the paper strips lubricated with Sperm Whale oil. Keeps them from tearing when I use the bullet seater and rod.

I love shooting paper patched bullets. Taken 4 white tails with an original Sharps Borchardt 45-70 sporter and 560 grain pp bullets over 68 grains of Swiss 2f.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw some soft lead collars for going around pipes that stick up through your roof at a local RP Lumber store.
My stash of soft lead is mostly old roof sheathing.
Commercial buses still use stick-on soft lead WW's. Maybe try the nearest city bus barn?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got several hundred pounds of plumbers lead cast into ~1 lb "lyman" ingots. PM me if you're in the market I can easily max out a few USPS flat rate boxes.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the various sources. tu2 My dad left me with a few lead ingots, but when that runs out. . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
UEG,get what you can while you can. I'm in O.K. shape as far as ingots go but if in 2020 the Dems take over there will be a lot of unavailable components.What a shame it has come to this;this was once a great nation with freedoms that needed no explanation.Sorry,I suppose that is 'Political Forum' stuff but I never go there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good, sage advice and wisdom. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.M. me your address + I'll sent you a few 1 lb. ingots,no charge.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roofing supply companies sell sheet lead - used for roof f;ashings - and I have found it very soft - pure lead I think. After my house got a new tile roof the roofers left about 50 lbs of the lead sheeting.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I have not checked this thread in a while as I got a good supply laid in.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,if you change your mind,give me a shout.Be glad to help you out.I am in the sheet metal business after all.