New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making 405 winchester bullets from .416 bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would you need to make .411 bullets from .416 bullets.I want some of the Speer mag tip 350 gr .416 bullets sized to .411.I like those bullets and I think they would shoot good out of the 405 Winchester

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In theory you should be able to swage them the .005". Are they bonded core? if not, sometimes the jacket can 'spring' back a little from the core, leading to inaccuracy, and poor performance on game.
I think that Woodleigh still make a 360gr .411, that may be a better bet?
Give your projectiles a try in a swage, who knows, it may all work out fine.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to make .411 bullets from .416 bullets it might be best to draw them down to about .406 - .408 then bump them back up to .411. That will eliminate any copper springback / loose core issues. But to work very well you should start with standard cup / core constructed bullets to keep drawing and swaging pressures within reason.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The are just the speer 350 grain mag tips.They are not bonded.I dont know about using the 300 gr barnes x bullets in the 405 win.

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yes, you could draw them .005 pretty easy ... dave davidson, at ch4d.com will make you some dies rather quickly.

http://www.swage.com/ebooks/hb-8.htm

quote:
:
In swaging bullets, you will always be putting a smaller diameter object (lead, jacket, or a combination of both) into a slightly larger die cavity or hole. Each step in swaging increases the diameter of the components, until they reach the final diameter in the last die. Swaging never reduces the diameter. You will only have stuck bullets and hard ejection if you try to push a slightly larger part into a slightly smaller hole. This is the difference between swaging and drawing. You never swage anything "down". You never draw anything "up".

In drawing, you do push a larger part through a smaller hole, to reduce the diameter. This kind of die is a ring, not a cylinder closed on one end. The jacket or bullet that you are reducing is pushed through the ring, and is decreased in diameter when it comes through the other side.

We use drawing to make longer, smaller caliber jackets from shorter, larger diameter ones. Also, within some narrow limits, it is possible to make a smaller caliber bullet from a larger one, although this degrades the quality of the bullet unless very special conditions are observed. Usually the difference in diameters has to be within 0.005 thousandths of an inch when you reduce finished bullets by drawing. Jackets can be drawn much more than this

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38368 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've taken .429/300gr down to .423 for use in my .404jeffery as plinking bullets. I use a cheap Lee die in .427 then go to .423. That's a bit more than your looking to do. They are surprisingly accurate out to 100yds or so, under 2moa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what gun you have (original 95, new Miroku M95, 1885, or Ruger #1). If it's the Miroku M95, you might want to slug your barrel. I have checked two and they were .4131". If you have the same, you will not have near as far to go as you first thought. Lot easier going to 413 than 411. The less deformation from the original, the better.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
Mike,
How's the .348 bullet coming?

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GR

I just finished some; not many, but then again I don't sell many.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Hornady is supposed to be bringing out 450-400 brass, bullets and ammo in conjunction with a Ruger #1 in that chambering. Will this get you thinking about 400 gr .411 cup points for the 450-400. It was good visiting with you in Dallas. Bob

Posts: 1279 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob

New 40 cal material won't arrive until about mid May but I will take a look at it.

My concern is that the bullets will be too long in the mono style, and therefore won't be stable with the relatively slow twists of the doubles. And an unstable solid can get you ass purreed. I've always stayed with an SD ~ .305 and that is all that is needed BUT you guys with the doubles and the issues with regulation, it is another matter(excluding the 470N which already uses .305 SD).

I will look at it but no guarantees.

Mike