Find
Notify
Tools

Airgun pellet design
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Greetings everyone,

I am wanting to design a 20 caliber pellet optimized for a Sheridan Streak. Is there an online program I can use to crunch some numbers?

What I am looking for is a pellet that is optimized for a 1:12 twist and 400-700 fps. I'm thinking a round nose and 2 driving bands with probably a slight wasp waist to keep the weight down a tiny bit.

I'm wanting to make a mold for casting them, so they will not be swaged or formed with dies. Any help or pointers to resources is greatly appreciated!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7755 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an " FYI ".

http://www.neihandtools.com/online_order.html
CUSTOM CHERRIES
" Many great designs have been the 'brain child' of knowledgeable shooters. All designs will be evaluated. If it proves to be ballistically questionable, we will decline to make it. If we think it will fly, then we'll make it."

Additional Info: Corbin
PELLET SWAGING
http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm#top

BULLET DESIGN SOFTWARE
http://www.corbins.com/dc-1015.htm

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark--A few years ago there was a group buy on a Lee mold for .177 pellet. This pellet was to be heavy and thus carry long distance and be the hammer of Thor. Somehow the mold got changed from the original design and it keyholed very badly. I think it is about 25 grains which is heavy for .177. Someone said it was accurate if shot backwards. I did not find that to be true and it did keyhole if shot forward. This is not to say at all that you wont be able to design something that works (doubt you'll improve on the Sheridan pellet??) but I'd also be curoius as to how it works in a .204 Ruger. What weight are you looking for?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, who designed that? Was it oldfeller? Remember the fellow down in Mexico that was looking for the mold because he shot them and got very good results.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Yeah I know, I was in on that group buy too.

Like the rest of the shooters, I had issues with keyholing as well. As mentioned, someone had posted an easy fix was simply loading the pellets base first and that worked in a fashion. Later I heard that a person had bought some of the left over molds and was using them in Mexico.

(FWIW my mold is now overseas in a country where pellets are somewhat regulated)

When the weather warms up this spring I think I'll probably freehand a cherry in the lathe and make a mold just to see how it goes.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7755 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe--Oldfeller designed the mold and when it turned out a dismal failure he claimed that it was not his actual design that was used and some changes had been made. It was the guy in Mexico that claimed good results loading them backwards. I tried that and did not get good accuracy or penetration. (Dick Cheeny was told to shoot them backwards and he wounded 3 people in the crowd)

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are worth a look at ...

http://www.piledriverpellets.com/

Hugh Earl is "Pax" he designed the notorious "Prometheus" sabot pellet.
He also has some brilliant designs.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote