New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet drawing software?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, D Lilja's website has a neat little BC calculator on it. Looks like it would be easy to take the data there figured and make a drawing program to run off of it.
I know jack about code; maybe someone here can, or knows someone who can, write the code?
Just a thought.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or maybe just even a simple stand-alone that asks for the caliber, ogive, meplat, boattail length and degree and length.
Seems it would be easy for someone who knew what they were doing.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I would try Dan at mountainmolds.com,I think he has done it already.He has a forum you could ask a question,I don't know if he has any extra time to help though.

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a program out there for drawing cartridge cases. I saw it in a small ad in the back pages of a gun mag several years ago. With advancing technology, there may now be a program for drawing bullets, too.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Dan is always extremely helpful. In fact, I think his design program might do the trick. His machine won't make spitzers, but I'll see if his CAD program will at least draw it. That would give me the info I'm looking for.
Trying to calculate the length of various ogives in various calibers.

And rootbeer, I have RCBL.load, pretty fun program for drawing cases. I'm sure someone who understood spreadsheets and a basic CAD program could set something up, it's just way over my head.

[edit to add]
Dan's online drawer works just fine. It won't let you order a bullet with a meplat smaller than .20" but you can still draw it, and get the ogive radius, nose length, OAL, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion; not sure why I didn't try it first! Just thinking spitzer instead of FN, and didn't think to try.
Cheers!

posted Hide Post
There is a program that designs bullets and cases. It is called QuickDESIGN. Try this website:

QuickDESIGN

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it just does cases.

posted Hide Post
I have QuickDESIGN and also QuickLOAD. Q/D does both cases and bullets.

here are some views of the user guide:

posted Hide Post
Give Ed Dillon a call!

Necos Ph. 707-747-0897

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. That would work. Thanks.