Find
Notify
Tools

Swaging-should I invest?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted
In my thoughts with as much as I do shoot at times, it be leave it would be cheaper to invest in swaging equipment and make my own bullets. I am a disabled vet, so I have a bit of time to do such things.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot what? Mr. Dave Corbin is the prolific writer in the field. He has a number of his writings posted on his web site(s) for study or download FREE (sans pictures)... corbins.com /swage.com. You can save some either squeezing bullets or casting. And many of the top flight match competitors make their own jacketed bullets. .224? 6mm? .30? You do have to shoot a bit to cover that investment, but if money is a problem, that is not a good sport to choose anyway.

"Rediscover Swaging #9" on swage.com etc. Dave has a brother Richard with a web site, rceco.com and the beginnings of his book. ch4d.com sells swage dies for pistol bullets. Sometimes you see them on ebay. Mr. Blackmon makes fine dies. No web site. The Nemmiis are a bit harder to find. Hollywood Engineering comes and goes.

Do your homework and you will answer your own question. It is fun if you enjoy hand work like reloading. It can be a bit of a savings. (Or a business. Takes a Fed license, class VI.) But you have to study and decide. Mr. Corbin also has a list of commercial bullet makers on his web site. You might find one in your area who would give you a tour and intro... luck.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Oh sorry about that, I do have my assortment of .30cals but the one I shoot the most, (and is at the smithy getting some work done) is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

I have been to a few websites and saw what hey charge, one guy I emailed with was more then happy to work with me to peace it all together, but said it may not be worth the investment. I have time, why not keep myself busy? (counting the time its going to take to save for it, ouch)

I do a lot of paper and iron targets,(depending on the thickness and distance of the iron) along with coyote, maybe fox someday and deer. (hardly go deer hunting)
Aside from a few mistakes I have loved every second of this sport.

I do have time to fuss around the shop until my swede gets back from the shop. Boy oh Boy I tell you the work I m getting done. New barrel, ported, stalk, convert bolt to cock on open, and trigger....I feel as if I m forgetting something....

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote