THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    Looking for Idea, knowlwdge, your thoughts on casting 44mag bullets

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Idea, knowlwdge, your thoughts on casting 44mag bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
Wrong Forum. mod please move to cast bullet
I have a Ruger SRH 44mag, 7 1/2" barrel. older model.
I am having a problem with accuracy, I know "its the shooter," But I hant that bad Roll Eyes
I have shot 200gr xtp's in my model 29 for years. and I can usually put 6 shots in a 10" target, some times better.
Now I have the disclaimers out of the way.
I slugged the throat on the Ruger and I get .431.
Slugged the bore and the groove measures .429.
I have loaded up cast bullet Keith style 245grs 19grs 2400 .255 lee tumble lube and some 255 copper coated all are SWC. all the same load. They all shot bad all over a 24x24" target board.
These bullets measured .429 and .430.
Instructions for loading and shooting cast bullet state .001" over throat diameter is idea.
all the molds that I see for sale largest is .430
Im going to get a heavier jacketed bullet and see they shoot any different.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
my other post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2911043/m/8441006152

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can adjust the diameter with different alloys. Linotype usually casts larger than softer alloys.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's one old time Lyman mould that can have issues. It's not you in that case....it's the mould. Lyman 429360. I had one that shot a dream. Single cavity. I had another, double cavity, where bullets from one cavity shot well but from the other shot badly.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I run an RCBS 44-240-KT that I got from carpetman some years back as well as an RCBS 44-240-SWC (GC). I size at .430, water dropped wheel weights and my 4 Super Blackhawks gobble them up and print nicely.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you gave us the answer with your measurements; you Never want your bullets to be smaller than the cylinder throats; Never. what happens if you do, is that the bullet will be gas cut before it gets out of the cylinder, and the base will be distorted.
You want the bullets to be at least equal to the cylinder throat, or .001 over. Then, it won't gas cut, and that is what the forcing cone is for; to make the bullet fit the bore.
Do not make the bullet fit the bore. Make it fit the cylinder.
Also, try a gas check bullet; that will help.
Jacketed bullets; does not matter as much.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a mold in the diameter you want, you can lap one slightly larger quite easily.

Procedure:
1) Cast a bullet in the mold.
2) Drive a self-tapping screw into the base (ideally in a lathe, it's best if it's concentric), and cut the head of the screw off.
3) With a hacksaw, cut some slots longitudinally around the bullet.
4) Put some lapping compound on the bullet.
5) Chuck the screw in a drill, and while it is running, carefully close the mould around the bullet.

Stop every once in a while, clean it up and cast a bullet to check. Obviously, you will also need a correctly-sized sazing die.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote