Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing Plated Rifle Bullets from .458 to .423
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I have seen a number of discussions from people who want to make inexpensive bullets for .423 diameter (.404 Jeffrey, 10.75X68, etc.). I have also read about jacket spring-back and want to avoid that. Both Barry's bullets and Ranier Bullets list .458" bullets in 350 gr. and 405 gr., plated approximately .004". If I were to try to re-size these bullets to .423, (1)In what increments would I need to go through? (2) Would there be a problem with wiping/scraping the .004" thick copper plating?
Lee lists standard sizing dies and I believe they will custom make a .423" die.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 & #2 ...

#1). You realize that the plated bullets with their .004 copper plate will not stand the velocities of a jacketed bullet with much thicker copper jacket? At black powder and the old, larger smokeless rifle velocities, should work o.k. Full throttle in a modern, high pressure round... doubtful.

#2). I think I would submit this question to the Corbins, Richard preferred [rceco.com]. He seems to have more interest in large caliber/ lead bullet shooting. Seems. Both answer emails promptly. [Dave: corbins.com]

My best guess, repeat "guess", is that it will depend on the lubricant. You try this "dry" and all the plate will "wipe." With a healthy coat of lanolin or other high pressure lube, and a couple steps... .454, .452, .451 should be readily available (pick one), 445?, 440?, 435?, .430?, ... basically, the more steps the better, but then you can try leaving out a step or two. Might just work fine. My other question is how well bonded the copper plate is to the lead. I know I could scrape the "golden bullet" gold off Remmie bullets with my thumb nail.

Not impossible, just how much "work" do you want to do? luck.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. It was so long from when I posted this that I thought noone had a comment. I think your points are valid and I'm rethinking this whole project. Hopefully, Hornady will come through with their promise to come out with the .404 Jeffrey and all the components for it. That will partially solve the "cheaper" bullet dilemna.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sized 429s to 416 in one pass but they are normal copper jacketed type.458 to 423 is a lot bigger jump. I would do it in at least 2 passes if not 3. I would be intersting to see how it work. Just buy lee sizing dies of right size and go for it. I made my 416 out of a 410 polishing it out to 416.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote