Re: tungsten?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi i forgot to add somthing guy's

A bullet made from powdered tungsten will.! fall apart

on impacting any hard item... shoulder bone hard wood

It will fall back to powder

Powdered tungsten to be used in that form to make a bullet must first be formed to the shape of the bullet

Next it is removed and placed in to an oven or furnice

and heated then cooled down then place back in to the point former and swaged again then removed and placed inside a form mould of the same shape as the point former

and heated to 2800 Deg/

The use of powder tungsten as bullet's was ment for indoor

ranges requiring the bullet to destroy it self on impact

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the qualities of "W" again and the rod available at www.mcmaster.com is a thought.

Make the bullet jacket on the lathe, either bronze, brass or copper, drill the appropriate size hole, drop in the core, (machined to size) and finish it off with a dab of molten lead. face it in the lathe and you've got a fine very heavy bullet.

Disclaimer: I have NO earthly idea if this would work, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was looking at the qualities of "W" again and the rod available at www.mcmaster.com is a thought.

Make the bullet jacket on the lathe, either bronze, brass or copper, drill the appropriate size hole, drop in the core, (machined to size) and finish it off with a dab of molten lead. face it in the lathe and you've got a fine very heavy bullet.

Disclaimer: I have NO earthly idea if this would work, but it sounds reasonable to me.

==========================
Almost right
Turn your Copper rod stock in the lathe ./ it help's to start with rod already the right outside diam.
Drill the hole in the stock then tap the inside of the jacket putting thread's inside of it .
The remove the jacket from the lathe put some flux on the inside of the jacket and place a preweighted lead core into it and heat till the lead melt's and bond's to the jacket . after cooling move the lead filled jacket to a point forming die and swage the lead filled jacket into a bullet form...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote