Tools

Re: Lightweight bullet material
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gerard

I have one question for you.
Why is your .500 Jeffery bullets .512 / 13mm in the groove.
I am making my own bullet, not commercial, and could use some help ?
Is it due to speed you make them larger in dia. ?
I do not get good vol. with Impala bullets They are also just 12,9.
My woodleigh is 12,94.
Have you seen my thread it is in this section ?

Well that was more then one question

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andr�,
The specs on our website are drawn from CIP, SAAMI, SABS and other sources we have found reliable. This does not mean that our bullets are actually those diameters. Longer bullets will obturate more under pressure and would not ceccessarily be the CIP sizes as this will generate unnecessary pressure on the barrel wall. All that is required is for the bullet to seal the bore and no more. The check is easy to do. Start with bullets that are under size. Blacken the surface of the bullet then load and shoot it into a medium from which it can be recovered. The engraving on the bullet will confirm if it is too small. Increase the size in 0.005mm steps until the right size is found.

I am unable to comment on sizes used by other manufacturers.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Gerard

Thank you very much.
I will test fire my first bullet soon it is 12,89mm a bit under size I would say.
I will work my way up and hopefully end up with a good and fast and precise bullet
I got the Copper rods yesterday and it looks first class.
I will make about 15-20 of the 2nd generation.
I will post pictures when they are done.
Here is a picture of my first "production" tree bullets total

What do you think of the Brass nickel mix for solids ? is it too hard on the barrel ? The nickel should lub a bit??

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fired 42 shots with the aluminium bullets and found no fouling to speak of. I ran a patch through the bore with some M98 bore cleaner and, on the third pass, the rag was clean. You must use T6 alloy as T4 or softer does foul.

Andre
I would be wary of nickel as the only way of moving nickel deposited (and work hardened), is with sulphuric acid. I hope you have a stainless barrel