Tools

Re: Home-made bullets for .500 Jeffery
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ran out to the shop and made up a bullet like your's ...Well kinda

10 MM is fine for the deapth of the hole 12MM is kinda deap
but hay it's your bullet design .

Are the bullet's your making tapered or ?
i turned out a .510 ..( stock on hand ) and drilled a 12MM
and a 10 MM ..
My normal .510 jacketed bullet in a 525 grain has a hole in it of about 6 MM for deapth but then again there jacketed lead bullet's as of now i have not been able to make anymore
525 hollow point's becouse of lack of jacket's

Sound's to me like your Solids are going to be very well thought out and very efective bullet's

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sound's to me like your Solids are going to be very well thought out and very effective bullet's

Well we will have to see about that
I will test them in phone books when I get the 2nd bullet design done.
I will make the bullet with four groves and a 3mm hole 10mm deep the bullet will be a little shorter 1,5mm about same weight 470 grn.
we will drill the hole and then make it square with a tool of very hard steel afterwards. Hopefully this will make it expand in four pieces.

The solid will be in brass and nickel mix this should be a less stressful to the barrel, the Nickel will lube the barrel some. hopefully it will hold up as good as a all brass solid. It is still pretty hard.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MartinPotts

Thanks for the advise.
I will properly stick to the copper for the expanding bullet and then develop a solid and use the tough brass.
I think that I will make the nose flatter if the bullet does not expand properly. Might also make the hole 2,0mm in diameter and 13mm deep.

Keep the input coming.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery,
I agree with copper for the material, and the flatter nose as Martin suggests. Also, an 8 degree taper to a flat point makes for a fairly streamlined bullet. I have a set of dies to make up .416 bullets with an 8 degree taper and it looks efficient and you have room on the meplat to experiment with different cavity sizes to control expansion.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonight I will re-design the bullet 2,8mm hole and 12mm deep. We will also get a special copper mix that is tough but still soft. We might make the hole in the middle square to get a secure quadrant separation.
But we will try to se what a normal hole will do.
There is also the possibility of adding a relief to the inside of the hole. This can be done after drilling the hole.
The machine can also make a somewhat square hole with a special drilling tool.

I would like to thank Nickudu for some excellent advise on hole diameter and shape.

Cheers,

Andr�

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Cheers,

Andr�