New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonded bullet accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would make a core bonded bullet less accurate and would a vacuum furnace be beneficial to get the flux and voids to the surface when bonding?

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would seem to me there could be "mechanical methods" for bonding the core to the jacket rather than a chemical bond. [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are. That's the principle behind things like Hornady's Interlock, which has a circumferential ring inside the base of the jacket.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notric - Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone have accuracy comments on this bullet? I have read some excellent results from the fellows using this bullet hunting. Sounds like the way to go to me for this type bullet.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shoot as well as anything. I've shot quite a few sub MOA groups with "blem" or reject versions of the Hornady bullets. (They've got pretty strict criteria to pass, apparently.) I'm not that great a shot, use standard hunting rifles and don't have benchrest equipment of competitive quality, so that's pretty good.

Hornady's manual has pictures of some bughole groups shot from pressure guns in their testing lab. That's equally true of bullets from all the makers. You may find your rifle "likes" some better than others, though I think with load development you can make most any of them work well.

[ 11-16-2003, 20:27: Message edited by: NotRicochet ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote