New
Find
Notify
Tools

348 solid
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for a 348 solid in any weight.

Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bigboredan, what do you mean by solid? A monolith ( like solid copper), a FMJ, a small lead tip at the FN ( most .348s are FN)? I have 3 or 4 m71s and swage my own bullets for them... mostly in 250 grains. I'm sure there's several others on this board that do the same, and they may respond, too.

Posts: 10 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigboredan:
Hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for a 348 solid in any weight.

Dan

Well dan ... Like Paul S said there are a few diffrent types of soilds.
There the one Paul spoke of a soild from rod stock . then theres the Turn Base Soild
that a lead cored bullet with a heavy jacket wrapped around it .
Like this one the first picture is of the front.

The next picture is of the back of the bullet

Dan it takes a swage press and a set of swage dies and a turn base punch to make the ones shown at the botton ..

Bullets for the 348 in a turn base would cost about 700.00 for you to start making them yourself in turn base.
The you could make what ever weight you liked
for your rifle.

The smallest swage die set i have is .358 guy sorry ..

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
The smallest swage die set i have is .358

He's not kidding.
Martin is one of the few I know that considers this caliber a "Plinker". Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could also start with a Barnes .366" or older .358" solid and have someone turn them down in a lathe.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll turn you just about anything you want. Only restriction is a minimum run of 500 bullets. You can find some information through RNS and his site http://www.custombrassandbullets.com Look under the bridger bullet link.
You can also PM me here and get any details you want worked out but Neal is the exclusive distributor of my bullets and you will eventually need to contact him to place the order.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thought would be to buy a box of Barnes .348" X bullets and seat them backwards. It would work but you did not state what you would use them for.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a good hard cast slug work? Just curious...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
Wouldn't a good hard cast slug work? Just curious...

bigboredan said he was looking for a solid

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote