New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammomaster + hydraulic cylinder?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I am wondering, if you could make something like Richie Corbin's multiswage, if you attached a hydraulic to an ammo masters ram, and then setup the head to hold the dies??

does anyone have a multiswage?

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for all the time and trial and error your
better off just buying the set up from richard

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks.. i like building my own tools, thouogh...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe! You are truly whacko! I can see you fragging one of those cast pot metal Ammomaster jobbers with some Bubba rigged hydraulic system!! hillbilly

Why don't you leave the dangerous stuff involving math to the Nerd types and concentrate on shooting stuff!! Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mac...
buddy, i find your comments amazingly funny.... no, really...
"math to the nerd types" ...
LOL, i AM a geek...

i mean that is KILLING me.... jumping

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooter and a geek too! Cool

When you get that press figured out let me know I need to have you make me a home case drawing machine. Wink

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ammo Master is a pretty tough SOB. I started with one and it could do every caliber I asked it to. Modifications were to provide a double handle (more to prevent asymmetrical stress than additional force) and an ejection system on the down stroke. I personally don’t like hydraulics; too slow and no warning that you are exceeding the strength of the apparatus. I have also seen them hooked to pneumatics (stroking the handle just like manual) but they also have their own issues (eat fingers). Unless you are going commercial, stick with manual. 500+/hour is no problem.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks mike.. you going to DSC this time? we met 2 years ago, with the 550 express in my pocket!!

i might could do that, 2 handles, and try... want to do .510, .550, and .475 perhaps .423 .. not really really interested in others, as there's a zillion .458 and .416 makers...

of course, a walnut hill is only 100 bucks more

might have to just build a hydraulic cyclic ram
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, no Dallas. Got a little too pricey for both the table and the gas for the trip.

Have you ever seen one of the hydraulic units in action? It is a little less stimulating than watching grass grow. I'd fall asleep before the bullet was done.

There's a lot to be said about learning on a manual press. Manual will give you notice of things going bad before they get too bad. For one, if you don't have the base punch adjusted in enough for the bullet you are making, you will wind up with a bullet that does not have it's nose closed up and prepared for ejection. With that one, you will pierce the bullet nose with the ejector pin and stick it in the bullet. That sucks. Even worse is if you have the base punch set in TOO far, you will add tremendous stress to the whole system. If the machine is lucky enough to survive, you will probably stick the bullet in the die beyond the point where the the ejector pin will eject it. If you do that one hydraulically, you will be surprised at how many 4 letter words you really know. Manually, you know when you run into either case and stop before you get yourself into big trouble.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm curious, can you post a picture of that handle? I'd like to try one on my A4. What presses are you using for them there boolits you make?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote