THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    Taking my turn at .224 bullets from spent LR empties

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking my turn at .224 bullets from spent LR empties
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Made a rude die set this past week from a 7/8 grade 5 bolt and a .203 EX Pin

The rim is a lot tougher than I thought...but it dose reform nicely

More to come after I get the next die set done

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice work Ted!
Keep us posted....

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can't wait to see the finished product, way to go Ted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good work Ted.
Please do keep us posted.
I want to do the same.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations Ted!

Many years ago I made 22 caliber bullets from lr empties using the Corbin die set.

My brother is going a similar route. There is a gentleman on www.castbullets.com named BT Sniper who offers a three die set, along with, iirc, a 6-cavity fixed length core mould.

Keep us posted...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I made quite a lot of 22 caliber bullets from 22 rim fire cases using a Corbin machine.

They actually shot better than bulk bought bullets from Remington.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ted, You will have problems with those jackets. They should come out of the de-rimming die, no bigger than .220" The core seating die bumps the bullet up to .223-.2235 and the point forming die finishes everything to .224."
I just bought a de-rim die on e-bay that made .224 core and they wouldn't enter the die!! You want to "bump" the bullet up through the various stages, not draw it down.
Good Luck,
Mike

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day!

Posts: 3 | Location: Sudbury, ON CANADA | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I think oldrodder got it right. Just part of the learning curve.