New
Find
Notify
Tools

need new wood part for lyman mold handles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where can i get new handles (wood and collet only) for my lyman two cavity mould handles. Ive had mine for decades and there burnt, broke and difficult to use anymore. thanks, dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Lyman.?

For me I would just find the proper dia. wood dowel drill a hole in the end and fit it to the mould handles.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the cast bullet forum basically told me to get off my butt and make a pair from a dowel or broomstick.. I went to the lumber yard and they had poplar, and oak dowels, neither suited me. so i got a short chunk of 13/16 mostly strait grain hickory had them cutt off a piece handle lenght,, and split it into squares, drilled holes in the end and they made very tough handles.. tough to make, ugly, tough to drill etc.. But they work, snug as heck and im happy.. thanks.dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
If the handles are split, but still functional, just mix up some J-B Weld, put some in the handle and put the handle back on the mould. J-B will fix the crack, and bond the wood to the metal.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
the cast bullet forum basically told me to get off my butt and make a pair from a dowel or broomstick.. I went to the lumber yard and they had poplar, and oak dowels, neither suited me. so i got a short chunk of 13/16 mostly strait grain hickory had them cutt off a piece handle lenght,, and split it into squares, drilled holes in the end and they made very tough handles.. tough to make, ugly, tough to drill etc.. But they work, snug as heck and im happy.. thanks.dave

You could scarf up an old broom handle and wrap the ferrule end with wire.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a set of handles that started splitting. Dad had an old wood lathe, so I made a set rather quickly out of oak. I made them a little fatter and heavier than the orginals, using a couple of copper pipe caps for ferruls. These are much more comfortable to use than the orignals, and are still going strong after 40 years.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll agree that if you are casting your own bullets and everything associated with that, you really need to make your own handles too.

However, if for some reason you cannot chisel handles can work.

As an example, I googled these up:

http://www.diefenbacher.com/accessories2.htm

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote