THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper hollow points for 500 S&W (0,500")
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anyone who could make 350 to 400 grain hollow point copper bullets in 0,500" diameter. They could be a drive band version to gain more velocity and less pressure. I would fire them from a rifle, so there is no need to chamber loaded ammo in revolver. I have asked a few manufacturers but they are not interested in making 0,500" caliber bullets even with their 0,510 etc. design.

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Ask to JefferyDenmark (Big bore topics) ;

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/967103167

He has a lot of experience making cooper solid bullets, but surely you need a CNC (computarized) Lathe and a good operator behind it. Ask him about the best pure metal or alloy

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you will buy the dies i will make your bullets at a discount using my machines..

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope very much that I am all wet ... but I remember that one of the materials that cannot be used in handgun bullets is solid copper. Can be considered "cop killer" (armor piercing) under US Federal law.

I believe this resulted from a bullet called the "Arcane" which was a spire point solid. It did bust body armor pretty well. Did not need to be teflon coated (the purpose of which was to protect the bore of the weapon ... not to increase penetration).

Please check before you proceed with the experiment!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your use of the comma mark in the place that the U.S. uses the period mark in numbers suggests you may be outside the U.S.

The rules about soft body armour penetrating bullets in handguns (cop killer bullets) would not apply outside U.S. jurisdiction.

If you are going for a solid copper bullet, then "lathe turning" about any alloy that suits you would probably be the quickest. None of this custom is cheap, but... And a hollow point is of questionable value in a more solid metal than the soft lead... ???

Your next option with a "stout" press is to use a die to reduce a slightly larger bullet, .510 or so... lubricate, shove thru die, you got your bullet. corbin sells them. ch4d.com sells them. "Ring die" is one name.

The major source of information on bullet making, corbins.com, has some of his books posted, sans pictures, for review, download, study... your pleasure. B). He discusses making bullets with a copper jacket and powdered copper for a "core" to fill the jacket... This might be more useful for "hollow point" purpose.

Drive bands are a questionable item. Work o.k. with cast bullets and old lube. With a copper bullet... Enough to be worth the extra effort? Again, your money, your call... luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the cheapest solution is to buy Barnes. Here where I live, hollowpoint bullets in any other handgun caliber than 22 LR is regulated, but you can have licence to buy them if you have a good reason. I think that "handgun caliber" in rifle is a good reason. The other thing what is good in here, is that buying beer is "more illegal" than buying supressors, ie. anyone can buy a suppressor, but you have to be over 18 to buy beer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope very much that I am all wet ... but I remember that one of the materials that cannot be used in handgun bullets is solid copper.

Ever heard of Barnes Bullets??
Barnes Bullets
They've been doing it for years. They make a 275gr, 325gr & 375gr copper hollow point .500" slug expressly for the S&W 500. And they shoot very well in my guns Wink

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look like Barnes XPB's. The 5/8 ounce might be since Barnes sells the 275gr slug but the one ounce?? That's 437gr and Barnes doesn't list anything close. Maybe Remington designed them themselves?? Nah.........

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, US Federal law would not apply to ammo being made and consumed outside the US. There could be local complications though.

Glad someone came to an accord with the Fed for hunting bullets. Probably has something to do with the search for non-lead projectiles being required by some environmentally oriented laws.

I always thought the law was silly to begin with ... put enough driving force behind a projectile of almost any structurally sound composition and it will penetrate a light protective vest.

Once upon a long time ago, we found that a .357 AutoMag driving a 125 SP bullet very fast would blow through the front side of armor designed to stop a 44 Rem Mag. And of course so would almost any deer rifle. Glad the nuts didn't figure that out.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole "cop killer bullet" fiasco was very, very poorly handled by NRA et al.

You really want the truth, if you get the soft body armour wet (as in sweat) it is worth about as much as a sweat shirt. [Guess how popular the vests are in the S.W. USA. So the makers added a plastic bag cover...] "Wet" lubricates the fibers that are to stop the projectile by friction on each other. And once "shot" that area is next to worthless, the reaon the maker gives the cop/department a new vest...

And all this was a political show by Mr. Biaggi, later covicted of feloney influence peddling but a former Law Enforcement Officer and a Democrat (from New York City... Taminny???)

Before betraying his fellow officers with the public/political revelation the average "thug" had no idea why the Saturday Night Special he (she) was shooting did not take down the cop and was so drugged up they could not figure it out.

Thanks to Mr. B, the skunk, word got out among "thugs" and they learned (FBI has the statistics) to shoot for the head where the vest does not cover... (or neck/throat)

Yes, I had a badge at the time .... and a knife in my back from another self serving Democrat. Long before Mr. Schumer, another product of NYC. No I am not a numb skulled Republican.