New
Find
Notify
Tools

.333 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i set out to find some info on a gun and possibly a way to get some .333 dia rifle bullets, and have learned a lot from this great site. looking around this area it seems like c&h 4d makes dies to shrink bullets a little. would that work for turning 338's into 333's? i see lee will make custom sized resizers but it looks like they are for cast bullets, could that work too?
my last option seems to be buying from hawk bullets.
what does everyone think the best method would be?

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lee will work i use them for 50 bmg pulled.

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks ill give that a try. do you need to roll the bullets in case lube or something first?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). YES, use lubricant. The old standards are lanolin and castor oil, both available at the drug store. Some synthetics might be as good, but ...
#2). If you can find a .333 size die from Lyman or LEE or ??? and a stout press or a mallet, used gently... Should work. Might not have match accuracy afterwards,but useable.
#3). The reducing die can be made by any machine shop. Both corbins, ch, anyone. The more taper the better [with lube!]. This is not a great reduction. Take is slow and easy and you should be fine for hunting.
#4). There is a .333 British cartridge. Jeffery I think. You might also want to scout for some bullets for it. Huntingtons.com. Old West Scrounger. Might be a trifle more accurate if your budget can stand the strain... luck.
P.S. One of Mr. Ackley's experiment consisted of chambering a .30/'06 barrel for 8mm Mauser and shoving .323 bullets down a .308 bore. No pressure problems. The Springfields that had problems had problems because the 8mm case cracked releasing hot gases. ["Aw shucks, don't all army rifles shoot the same ammo???" No.] Some had the same problem trying .35 Remington rounds in 8mms? Accuracy WASN'T! POINT: if your gun is not overly tight... normal factory standards of today, you might well be able to load and shoot the .338 bullets as is, but you try this at your own risk. LUCK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd consider that if the rifle was worth 500 or so, but being how its far from that, i'd rather be on the safe side.
lee does custom sizing dies
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1202...atalog/lubesize.html
30 bucks for custom ones
the ch4d ones are about 60, didnt check corbin yet.

the only alternative is hawk makes 333 (jeffrey) 200 gr bullets for about 40 per 50. not that bad.
i was thinking of just using case sizing lube but ill try castrol and other stuff if i get around to it.
i'll get one of those lee's ordered sometime soon and maybe some hawk bullets. ill check here now n then if anyone else has more ideas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancingsagi: no problem I ordered a .333 sizer from Lee to size .338 cast bullets in my Styer M95 8x56. I uses a .329 Lee sizer to size .338 bullets and they come out .3295. I just ran a Nosler 200gr Bt and a Speer 275gr 338 bullets throught the 333 sizer and they came out .3327. Uses Imperial Sizing Wax . It took Lee 8 weeks to send the die.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sagi:
i set out to find some info on a gun and possibly a way to get some .333 dia rifle bullets, and have learned a lot from this great site. looking around this area it seems like c&h 4d makes dies to shrink bullets a little. would that work for turning 338's into 333's? i see lee will make custom sized resizers but it looks like they are for cast bullets, could that work too?
my last option seems to be buying from hawk bullets.
what does everyone think the best method would be?

All the time, money, and aggravation trying to turn a sows ear into a sows ear purse would be better spent buying the silk purse in the first place. There are a half dozen firms who could make some .333" bullets for you quick like...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Hawk bullets.

They are great killers.

www.hawkbullets.com

Give them a call, tell them your velocities and game hunted and they can tell you what jacket thickness you need.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote