New
Find
Notify
Tools

338?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
I'm looking for the length of a 180 or 200gr .338 bullet.
Is there anyone who might have any to measure?
Thanks
OutKaste

One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr Ballistic tip = 1.235"
200gr Ballistic Tip = 1.335"

Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have to ask why you want to know? Making your own bullets or wondering how far the bullet will sit in the case?

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jc,
Thanks much.

James,
Going to be making my own. Just need a starting point for jacket length.

OutKaste

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jacket length would be approx .25 shorter than the BT lengths. The tip is about .150 long and the jacket will grow in length as the diameter of the tip is reduced.
Good luck.
Joe

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Let us know how they turn out. Maybe post some photos of the proses or your end resalt. I hope to be swaging at some point in the next year or 2. Best of luck!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, it will be in the next couple of months. You know how plans go sometimes.
Thanks again.
OutKaste

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Oh boy do I ever! "Life Happends when making plains"!

Coming to you at the speed of life!
James

NRA LIFE MEMBER

posted Hide Post
I'll let you in on what this is all about.
I shoot a 300 Whisper and something very close to the 338 Spectre in a Contender. I am unable to find any brand of bullet that will expand @ low velocities other than Sierra. But, they stopped making their 135gr SSP bullets and noooobody has any. Guess I gotta make my own.
As far as I know, there are no 338's out there that will expand @ low velocities either. Again, gotta make my own.
I should probably add that these will be 110-125 gr for the 308, 160-200 for the 338 and be used on white tails.
OutKaste

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 125gr Ballistic Tip works great in the 300 Whisper, it will expand easily and penetrate well on deer sized game.
Joe

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
So your not looking for .338 cal but .308 cal... You should be able to use the same bullets I use for my M1 Carbine! 100GR SJ's 110GR RN, and also 110GR HP's!

I googled the cartridge I found Wikipedia had something on it.
.300 Whisper -Wikipedia-
Here also is a link for Hornady and if I m not mistaken any of the bullets under 130GR should work.
Let me know if this helped any.
.308 Cal Hornady

NRA LIFE MEMBER

posted Hide Post
jc,
The only bullet I've not used is the Nosler BT. At their price, making them would be less expensive. All the others have been tried on deer with little to no expansion. Plus, (as he looks about the room hoping that his wife does not see this) this gives me another reason to try a new hobby.

James,
I am looking for a 338 for the Spectre, kinda. If I'm gonna make one, might as well go with 2 or more.
OutKaste

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I see your point Wink stir Lets see what happens!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know, there are no 338's out there that will expand @ low velocities either. Again, gotta make my own.

Any bullet made for the 33 Winchester will expand at low velocities. I've used the Hornandy bullet, and they expanded very well at lower velocities.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to rain on your parade but you can buy alot of bullets for a price of a 500.00 die set
not to mention most 338 jackets when you can find them are going to cost ya about .17-.25
each.

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GREYGHOSTt:
not to rain on your parade but you can buy alot of bullets for a price of a 500.00 die set
not to mention most 338 jackets when you can find them are going to cost ya about .17-.25
each.

But here is the kicker to that. How many bullets can you buy? I just bought 100rds of .308cal for 25 bucks a box. Not including shipping that would be 20 boxes of bullets. Damn! But that is not the point. That is 2000 bullets one time. The die will pay its self off. So the way I shoot, that would pay its self off by the end of the summer if I buy it in June.
I dont have the cost difference right here but I beleave it would be substantial.
To top that off he also has control of other aspics of the bullet type and style.

Besides makes for a wicked fun hobby. So rain all you want. Because if he is happy doing it....
Smiler beer
You cannot beat the satisfaction of doing it your self and being able to say I made that.
People like us are the people that can change the world by having a hobby and finding something new. Pass me some more bullets!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
More rain.

Greyghost only mentioned the cost of the dies and jackets.

Don't forget the cost of the press and cores. And the time to swage the cores. And triming the jackets. And making the bullets in general.

If you buy wire, it's expensive. If you buy a core mold or make one, there's more time casting.

Plan on not getting everything paid for the first summer since half your time will be spent making bullets instead of shooting and reloading.

Dang. Makes me sound like a storm cloud is right overhead and not worth the effort, but making bullets does take time. At least those I make do.

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I am relatively certain Hawk will still do custom runs by wt., jacket, tip, cannelure, etc
(minimum # of course)

Here are their Std . 338's

http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

($ per 50)

Spitzers
230 grains x .035 SPZ........$41.00
250 grains x .035 SPZ........$43.50

Round Tips
200 grains x .035 RT..........$37.00
230 grains x .035 RT..........$39.00
250 grains x .035 RT..........$40.50
275 grains x .035 RT..........$43.00