Notify
Tools

Re: tungstun idea
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I'd think you'd want the heavy stuff up front for best stability

(I think... But how can you take me seriously with that avatar?)

Also...

McMaster-Carr Tungsten Rod Page

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Andre, Collins...
tungstun becuase it's heavy.. and fairly SHORT...

in the rear... because it's less critical, in making and shooting..
jeffe

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

thinking of a hollowpoint brass and a solid, with tungstun powder compressed into the rear, and then tig'ing brass over the compressed powder...

that is , a lathe turned with tungstun powder and then tig'ed back over? NOT for production

heavy short, solid?

jeffe

jeffe

You could try a rod of tungston inserted into a copper jacket... but that's already been done and as for the powdered type.. compressing it would have to be done with a Strong press.. A hydro work's good for that.

And as for tigging the hole up ,,,

Well if you did use a press there's a trick .

you roll the inside wall down over the powder and that cover's it up.

Here's how it work's

You can take a copper jacket pre made ..say..?? with a wall thickness of 0.80 and fill it up about half way with Tungston powder..Next run it through the swage press so that it really compress's the powder down then ..Using a top punch a little wider then the inside jacket wall shave some of it down over the top of the powder there by covering the powder that you have compressed ..

This is just the same thing i do when making Partioned bullet..

I cut or mould a core of lead about half the weight i need and insert it into the jacket and flux it in place

then i compress the lead down even tighter with the press

the i change out my top punch so it's a bit larger in Diam then the inside wall thickness and i trim the inside wall down by forcing the top punch to trim /roll the inside of the copper jacket down over it. then i weight the lead filled jacket and place with it another piece of lead so it come's up to the required weight i am looking for then i insert the sec/ piece of lead and bond it into the top half

with flux and compress it down once it's cooled and point form and Wa..La a partioned bullet...

If you don't have a swage press and or die's for the diamator of the bullet then it might be a better way to go..

by tigging the bottom half in place and relathing it when done ..But be careful ..you can..By doing that imbalance the

bullet.

And trying to get two alike is almost impossable....

Just a thought

Pottsy

--------------

Tried to post this earlyer but the board must have been really loaded down.

-------------

P.S

Tungston Powder won't hang together on impact even when compressed in my 24 ton press ..Sure it form's what look's like a solid and it reload's up just fine and dandie

but.. When you shoot it and it hit's somthing solid it comes apart ..

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy,
After dropping the tungtsen into the jacket couldn't you bond a lead core on top? Then you should be able to use the core seat punch to bring the bullet up to the diameter you need. I haven't used tungsten powder yet, but that's the way I'd like to go with it.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Gemtlemen

It is called TUNGSTEN not tungstun or tungston. "Tung" means heavy and "sten" is stone this is danish or scandinavian by the way.

Heavy stone metal.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL

Good lord .! your not going to WACK my hand with a ruler and
make me rewrite it on the chauck Board ..Are You Andr�

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No friend

I was just trying to explain what it means.
I spell strange sometimes myself.

Still friends

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Ha ha!!! eye spelt it write! butt ewe spelt "Gentlemen" wrong!

Hee hee hee

Quote:

Gemtlemen

It is called TUNGSTEN not tungstun or tungston. "Tung" means heavy and "sten" is stone this is danish or scandinavian by the way.

Heavy stone metal.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No friend

I was just trying to explain what it means.
I spell strange sometimes myself.

Still friends

Cheers,

Andr�

Andr� Andr� Andr�

Why would our Friendship be in dought..

I found somthing out today ....

I was going to mail Saeed < Owner AR Forum ...

some sample bullet's ...No Can Do.!! Not to his country..

The U.S has a ban in place for exporting to his country
that sort of thing It's on the Watch List...

Seem's kinda strange

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just jocking bulllet friend.

Well That is a shame.
What about shipping them as machine parts.

Cheers,

Andr�

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about this ...

Longggg brass bell's ( Empty shell )

Lead lined Copper Bell's ( Bullet's )

Ho Ho Hoo St Nick here with your shooting supply's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin

Just connoct them to some fishing hooks and ad some rubber bands

Make it look like a lure.

Best regards,

Rex Hunt

Cheers,

Andr�