New
Find
Notify
Tools

how did you find ar Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
how did you find your way onto ar
for it y wife who was messing with her computer one night and sai you gotta see this - i looke anad got hooked

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Recommendation from one of my African PHs over 17 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Referral from a hunting mate who spends too much time online. Started looking and reading and became a fan. I don't know if I spend excessive time online but some days I spend too much time on AR !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1991 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think I saw reference to it in another site.

I've slept since then so am not really sure!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I think I saw reference to it in another site.

I've slept since then so am not really sure!

Same answer.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
been 20 plus years ago.

Don't remember

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My PH, Rich Tabor, back in 2011, asked me if I would post a hunt report on my leopard hunt with him. That report was my first post.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Before AR, I used to visit a couple of shooting sites.

I think one was SHOOTERS and the other was HUNTAMERICA.

Found out they were very heavy handed in no accepting anything that might be not to their advertisers likings.

They kept deleting my recommendations for outfitters and PHs, because those were NOT advertisers.

So we set up AR, with the original software that had a continuous list, of up to 500 posts.

Any new posts comes, gets on top, and the one at the bottom drops off.

Then we updated it as you see.

AR is for everyone.

It is free of adverts.

Does not cater for any specific section of the industry.

Basically, as members, you run it.

Its reputation has become well known the world over.

Free, and you are free to post whatever you wish.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66742 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Saeed, believe me, it is greatly appreciated!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've been 'here' so long I don't remember but back then, those were the heydays of bulletin board websites. A precursor to social media of the current day. I'd say AR has a certain staying power due to the variety of outdoors topics to talk about here.

I have made MANY long time friendships due to Accurate Reloading. I value them all.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So have I.

This year I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of AR members, some with their families, as they pass through Dubai.

If I am not mistaken, AR is unique in that we don't ask you to support the advertisers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66742 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember shooters and hunt america along with several others that weren;t worth a zchit

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It was around Y2K, IIRC, that I somehow lucked into finding AR on the web.

I immediately realized that this site was (and still is) uniquely geared toward shooting and hunting for their own sake, and teaching and sharing about them, without regard to advertisers or any other commercially driven bias.

I "lurked" and learned for a couple of years, and finally joined.

AR is truly a free market of ideas and shared experience like no other in the field.

Huge thanks to Saeed for setting it up and keeping it going for all of these years.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13325 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Before AR, I used to visit a couple of shooting sites.

I think one was SHOOTERS and the other was HUNTAMERICA.

Interesting to learn that AR began as an alternative to Huntamerica.

I was a member of HA in the late 1990s. The owner of the site was constantly arguing with members over trivial stuff and the moderators were heavy handed.

Members there kept leaving for AR. I took a look at AR in 98 or 99 and found that it had more knowledgeable members, and there was almost no censorship. Before I knew it, AR became my go to hunting site.

I was a member/lurker for the first few years, but my membership was lost in an update in 2003.

When I look at how my life has unfolded in the past 20 years, it is clear that my life would be very different without AR. Both the influence that has come through AR directly from the board and the influence from interactions/advice/trips made with people I have met here, I can’t begin to imagine how different things would be if I had never logged on to AR.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I was told by a member of another hunting site that AR would be more to my liking than any of the two other sites I had frequented. So, I signed up and never went back except out of curiosity once or twice a year. Feels like home. Met some nice people in person through AR and one or two not so nice ones and some(a) down right mean one(s). You long-timers know who I am referring to. In spite of some minor setbacks, AR always came through. Lots great folks on here.
Bless those who make it happen.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ann as I have found many great friends through this site; many I have never met but we are in constant contact, also + is inclusive, good+ trusted friends to deal with in the buying/selling realm. The folks here have been the most honest ones I have had the pleasure to deal with. You know, like life is supposed to be!

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
how did you find your way onto ar
for it y wife who was messing with her computer one night and sai you gotta see this - i looke anad got hooked

You, you silly guy!

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly can’t remember how I found AR, once I found it and “joined”, I found quite a few members were already friends or people I knew. Since then I’ve made many, many friends, spent a lot of money on classifieds and learned an incredible amount about firearms related things. Also run into a couple of assholes, too, unfortunately Wink.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember either. I had just moved back to southern California and had some time to peruse the internet (at slow speeds), after taking a month off to hunt antelope and elk before looking for work in the new situation. I learn from people on the forum...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14330 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd have to guess that it was while searching for information on hunting in Africa and/or shooting big-bore rifles.
I did finally make it to Namibia a decade ago, thanks basically to AR, and sure appreciated the old what-to-bring lists made up by Nickudu, if I recall correctly.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father introduced me to AR years ago. He was retired and I have no idea how he found it, but he told me it was the greatest website for someone like me who was addicted to hunting in Africa. I remember registering while I was visiting my parents and I've never regretted it.

Posts: 9946 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It was in 2008 after I had bought a couple of hunts at a banquet and realized I needed to learn more. My good buddy who runs SWFA pointed me to AR.

It has been great for knowledge and entertainment. There have been tumultuous times, but it has all been fun.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember.
I used to frequent monstermuleys.com and suggested starting an African hunting there and was a Moderator for a while. I still visit there and like the site. However, I like this site and there is a lot of wider range topics and not as much arguing (unless you’re on the Political Forum and one can only blame themselves for going there).

I’m surprised by the knowledge here and am amazed what members know. I’ve learned a lot from this site!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote